A marriage in USA or possibly Canada post 1946

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A marriage in USA or possibly Canada post 1946

I have been looking for over a year now for the marriage of JUNE MARGARET ALEXANDER born 26th May 1924 Toronto Canada.
    She crossed to become an American citizen in Jan 1946, with her Father Norman .J.Lockyer Alexander born 1902. Her Mother travelled later that year( Dec.) with her parents Mother ELEANOR MARGARET ALEXANDER nee BACON ( incorrectly transcribed on ancestry as--Baron) Born Dec. 1902 G.Parents ALFRED PEARCE BACON and SARAH ELLEN BACON nee Thompson. Born 1868 and 1870 respectively
    Sadly A.P.Bacon died one year later in Dec. 1947( 27th) and was buried Madera County
    Initially the family went to Hemosa Beach L.A where they stayed with a friend Mrs. Emma Swanton( 66A 9th St.)
    The father was a Clerk, possibly an Accountant.

Family left behind in Canada( Toronto) as follows:
    June's Uncles and Aunt and possibly Alexander G.Parents.
    ALFRED G Born 1892 aged 50 living DoncasterAve
    WALTER ROBERT LOCKYER Born 1895 Served in WW!( I have seen his papers, enlisted from29 Mackay St York)
    Muriel Victoria born 1901
    Alexander G.Parents , more possibly the Mother, may have crossed at sometime.
    ( Mrs. S. Alexander found--1671W 20th Ave LA-- not certain this is the correct Mother.)
    Alexander G.Parents: Joseph born 1864 and Susana born 1869 nee Lockyer

All except JUNE MARGARET were born in the UK.

Canadaian 1911 census has all siblings and parents living at 29 Mackay St. District of York.
    Have searched the S.S.Death index--- no mention of GMother ( Bacon) Mother (EM ) Father (N.J.L) or even June Margaret
    Tried Canadian death's also UK death's and marriages as far as I can go with JUNE MARGARET
    California seemed the most obvious place , also tried a little in Oregon.
    Did she cross back into Canada, or even UK????
    Please can someone help.

Hi - was the last time you came across June Margaret Alexander in 1948 in Madera County? Wonder if there is anything in local newspapers....

Comment

Madera county newspapers

Hi, thanks for your reply.
      I have contacted them in the past.Will have another go. I also posted "Where are you now "type messages.
      Have just done this in Toronto but no joy so far.

Comment

hello,

what makes you so sure she DID marry?
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Darksecretz,
          I have no proof either way. Iam exploring every avenue. So much easier if she did marry. She was only in her 20's when last heard of crossing into the States, the odds are she did marry.
          I have looked up in the S.S.Death index for her maiden name, with no results.
          Naomiatt.
          Postscript to my reply to you.
          As her G.Mother, Mother and Father were around at the time of death( of her G.Father) I didn't expect June Margaret to be the informant.
          I will contact them again and try a different angle.
          Thank you both for your interest.

Comment

I can see the border crossing article in 1946, (sorry I didnt mean to come over flippant!) re the marrriage or non marriage. have you found her father on any census at all after the border crossing?

Have you access to USA census? and/or Canadian ones?
            Julie

Comment

Forgive my ignorance , I didn't think there were any Census available post 1946 in USA or Canada. I don't have access do you?
              If so would you be kind enough to check for me?
              Someone once found a S.S.Death record for a Norman Alexander in Marion , Oregon. The middle name didn't match. so I discarded it.
              He was born in April of 1902. He rarely used the 2 middle initials-----J.L.
              The last information is the crossing details in January of 1946 After that June Margaret seems to go off the radar, as does Sarah Ellen Bacon(G.Mother), Eleanor Margaret, referred to as Ella in the family( Mother), Norman(Father)
              Last edited by BigOoms; 14-01-10, 22:55. Reason: Needed to add something to tha last post

Comment

Have just edited the last post and I can't get back to it!

Comment

Originally posted by BigOoms View Post
                  Darksecretz,
                  I have no proof either way. Iam exploring every avenue. So much easier if she did marry. She was only in her 20's when last heard of crossing into the States, the odds are she did marry.
                  I have looked up in the S.S.Death index for her maiden name, with no results.
                  Naomiatt.
                  Postscript to my reply to you.
                  As her G.Mother, Mother and Father were around at the time of death( of her G.Father) I didn't expect June Margaret to be the informant.
                  I will contact them again and try a different angle.
                  Thank you both for your interest.
                  Yes...agreed about the informant bit, but wondered if there was a notice in the paper mentioning the family names...might give some sort of a clue..
                  It's odd how they just seem to vanish...

Comment

As the G.Father had only been in America for a year, as a retired person of 78/9 .I doubt there would be much interest, news-wise but I am persuing the private entry.
                    There is more likely to be a report in a Toronto Newspaper( of the Newsy sort ) as he had a distinguished career in the Canadian Wire and Rope Factory and had a big splash at the time of his retirement.
                    Also persuing Toronto papers.
                    It wouldn't have given JUNE MARGARET alot of time to find someone and get married. Remember the G.Parents only crossed with her Mother in December of 1946. So there wouldn't have been a wedding without the Mother---I would think!
                    Thanks again for your interest.
                    Are there any censuses available in US and Canada post 1946?

Comment

I think that the latest census in USA is the 1930's though I do know that there are 1940/50's trade directories that are census subsitutes, (if I read my email right!!) can you give a DOB/POB for her father please.. I might be able to find something on him. I have looked for June but not alot of forthcoming.
                      Julie

Comment

do you have access to passenger lists? I have found Norman in 1922 he is from fitzgerald Alta, and states his brother as Albert G from Toronto Ont

his occ is stated as Clerk-agric
                        Julie

Comment

No I don't have access to Passenger lists. Is this a crossing into the US? Would it be to go to a Funeral for a few days or is there mention of a Mrs. S.Alexander in L.A? This could be his Mother.
                          I believe somewhere there is mention of him being first a Clerk and then an Accountant.
                          He may show up in a Trade Directory, if he had his own practice. Would be grateful if you could have a look.
                          His DoB was April 1902 born in Middlesex UK.
                          Thank you again.

Comment

Hi - I think this site has recently updated - http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/ and also, there are some on line sites in here

Comment

Thanks Naomiatt,
                              No luck I am afraid. I have traweled both sites all evening and only come up with Walter R.L.Alexander's registration for WW1
                              I do hope Darksecretz can get back with some info from the 1940/50 US Directories.
                              I have written to the Madera Historical Society as the newspaper Archives only go back to 2007!!!!

Comment

How about this site for the US side of things (I noticed Christine in Herts mentioned it the other day)...
                                Create your family tree. Take a MyHeritage DNA test for ancestry and genetic testing. Access 19.5 billion historical records for genealogy research.

Comment

I have been through that site just now.Thanks for the info.
                                  Non of the people come up on the S.S.D.I even though I know all the details of Alfred Pearce Bacon's death!
                                  There is one marriage on the Texas Marriage site but it only lists a JUNE ALEXANDER not a JUNE MARGARET ALEXANDER June Alexander is a very common name I have found out!
                                  The lady is marrying at 52 ( 1924/5) a gentleman aged 55 in 1977. A JOHN A MEYER's in Harris County. There are many distinguished JOHN A's around Houston and Dallas. As I have the Marriage cert . no. ( 133389) I shall endeavour to ask them to check to see if she was born in Canada to a Norman and an Eleanor Margaret.
                                  Any news of the 1940/50 trade Directories Darksecretz? I do hope you will come back.

Comment

Originally posted by BigOoms View Post
                                    No I don't have access to Passenger lists. Is this a crossing into the US? Would it be to go to a Funeral for a few days or is there mention of a Mrs. S.Alexander in L.A? This could be his Mother.
                                    I believe somewhere there is mention of him being first a Clerk and then an Accountant.
                                    He may show up in a Trade Directory, if he had his own practice. Would be grateful if you could have a look.
                                    His DoB was April 1902 born in Middlesex UK.
                                    Thank you again.
                                    I dont know, but I have found Susannah alexander in 1930 living with her daughter and son in law..

Btw. there arent many canadian trade directories that I have found either, sorry. will send census image to you.
                                    Julie

Comment

"None of the people come up on the S.S.D.I even though I know all the details of Alfred Pearce Bacon's death!" - my friend has just asked me about the same problem..
                                      RootsWeb - the Internet's oldest and largest FREE genealogical community. An award winning genealogical resource with searchable databases, free Web space, mailing lists, message boards, and more.

I also read;-
                                      "The Death Index contains a listing of persons who had a Social Security number, who are deceased, and whose death was reported to the Social Security Administration. (The information in the Death Index for people who died prior to 1962 is sketchy since SSA's death information was not automated before that date.
                                      Death information for persons who died before 1962 is generally only in the Death Index if the death was actually reported to SSA after 1962, even though the death occurred prior to that year.)
                                      The first SSNs were issued by the Social Security Administration in November 1936 as part of the New Deal Social Security program. Within three months, 25 million numbers were issued] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_...tory/hfaq.html

Comment

Thanks Naomiatt and Darksecretz,
                                        On the1930 US. Census I now see Susana Alexander is down as M-in-L and above the black line there is the Head of the household a Sylvester Thomason. So Muriel Victoria married. 2 children are listed
                                        Muriel .I aged 7 and Robert . S aged 5
                                        Sylvester is also born in England as are both his parents. The area is Los Angeles. CA.

Checked on FREEREG and there is a Jacob Sylvester born June 1897 in Bolton.
                                        Darksecretz has sent me further info on him a crossing from Canada, naturalisation papers, his death record and call-up papers. He survived the War.
                                        Muriel Victoria also appears to have died ,in 1993. I think both in Ventura CA.
                                        Further info from Darksecretz gives the birth enries for the children and a death entry for Robert S.
                                        I looked on the White pages for Los Angeles and found Robert S. with a couple of sons, relatives listed included MURIEL VICTORIA, so I think I have the correct family.
                                        JUNE MARGARET would be a 1st cousin of Robert S and Muriel I.
                                        Things are moving at a rapid pace!! A contact in Canada has found the family returning to HANOVER Ontario where the Mother ( Eleanor Margaret ) died in 1952. This is such a surprise I would never have thought they would go back after all the trouble to get there.
                                        Sarah Ellen( J. M' s G.Mother.) was with them in 1952 and 2 daughter's are listed in the paper.( Obit's) June Margaret and B.
                                        Now when was B born? There is no mention of her crossing, perhaps she had married and stayed in Canada.
                                        I will ring Robert N. tonight and hope he knows of his Father's 1st cousins, I hope it is a close knit family, I feel I am almost there! Fingers crossed she and B. are still alive.
                                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 21-01-10, 08:36. Reason: possible living names removed

Comment

Working...
                                        X