Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electoral role error or two different people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electoral role error or two different people?

I went to the library today to check what years a Joseph Sullivan lived at an address. It was a large house and had a family of 4 in 1911 who lived there up until 1935.
    I know that only voters were listed but didn;t women have the vote by 1935? In 1935/1936 there was one man listed Joseph Sutherland. And in 1936/37 he is listed as Joseph Sullivan. I'm not sure which part of 1935/1936 these electoral rolls were made but I know that Joseph Sullivan was ther for at least most of 1935 and 1936. So was Joseph Sutherland mistranscribed or was that his real name and he changed it?

All thoughts appreciated but I have to log off very shortly, so not ignoring anyone.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

I think in those days and up until the last 5 years or so electoral forms were usually sent out October but I don't think they sent them out every year in those days. So until another person showed up at that address and filled in a electoral form (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) the person that filled the last form in at that address would remain on the list for that address.

Could be the same man.

Comment

I know it's the same man Maggie because I know that he was living there during those years. What I don't know is , whether the Sutherland was mistranscribed or whether that was his real name and he changed it for the trial.

Comment

Sorry I see what you mean yes he probably did - have you looked for him under Sutherland on BMD's? Oh this is the one you thought came from Canada. Sutherland is a scottish name.

Would the police allow him to have a Psuedonym for a murder trial? Also the press would have found it out surely.

Edit: I just had a thought if you say Sutherland it sounds like Sullivan its possible the name was copied wrong verbally at some stage! I can't see how he would manage to get away with changing his name because of a murder trial somone would have found out they would have made it their business. Either that or he changed it some time before that.
        Last edited by Guest; 13-01-10, 18:22.

Comment

Haven't had time to look for him as Sutherland yet, only got back about an hour ago. I'm not sure where you got the Canada thought from? I did wonder if he had come from Ireland, Scotland or somewhere. YOu are right though, Sutherland is a Scottish name. Have to go for tea now - but shall be busy searching later :D

Comment

Admittedly earlier than this, but I have a man appearing on the electoral Roll two years after he had died, and in a street directory five years after he had died!

I also have a JOHN Holden who was definitely a Joseph - no name change, definitely a clerical error on the Roll in the 1940s.

OC

Comment

Chrissie

I just read 15 pages of that book by SM I expect some of what he says isn't accurate although he seems to have taken on board most of the facts you found for them. He admits in that the 'woman' was changing and using various names all the time and at one time was making people believe Sullivan was her brother!

I looked up a few of the births and 'she' used two different maiden names even when registering two of her children by her husband Leech. I only found 3 two by Leech and one by Sullivan...

So I would think that Sullivan was and had been using both Sullivan and Sutherland at various times for various reasons but possibly Sullivan may be his birth name.

It didn't seem to bother them at all what their names were. Decieving people about their names was the least of their troubles. What is interesting is that name Sutherland doesn't appear in any of the details of the case that I've seen even though most are inaccurate you'd think they'd have picked up on it somewhere at the time.

Comment

Thanks OC and Maggie.

After doing some searching I'm beginning to think that the Sutherland was a transcription error. From what OC says and your thoughts Maggie, surely the courts or someone would have picked it up.
                Yes, you are right, she did use 2 different maiden names on the birth certs of the children with her husband. One was the name on her birth cert and one the second Christian name on her birth cert (the name of who we assume was the father who then brought her up). She didn't use her real birth Christian name on any of the cirtificates (I have them all). At least she only used one made up name on the Sullivan birth certs. On the birth certs of the children she had with her husband she had 3 made up names on two of them and 2 names on the third.

p.s. I think most of SM's findings were pretty accurate and of course I have found quite a bit more since the book was published.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                  Thanks OC and Maggie.

After doing some searching I'm beginning to think that the Sutherland was a transcription error. From what OC says and your thoughts Maggie, surely the courts or someone would have picked it up.
                  That's what I'm thinking, although most of the accounts are inaccurate the facts are there, they're just jumbled up. I just don't think that name would have remained hidden.

Still if that name arises in the future on something you find you'll know why now.

Comment

Yes, I'm not totally discounting it. Not after 2 hours of trawling through electoral rolls :D

Comment

Oh yeah I forgot to say all women over 21 got the vote in 1928.

Was that the nursing home? If so why isn't she on the list?

Comment

That's what I wondered Maggie. That's why I asked when women got the vote. Very strange.

Comment

Working...
                        X