disappearances/advice sought.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disappearances/advice sought.

I would like to know what others do when they can't find a person on a census. I am looking for a female, who may of course have married, but there doesn't seem to be a marriage that leads me to her, not can I find a suitable death. Unless I am not thinking straight! :D

You can put her info on ftf & the kind souls on here might find her for you, worth a shot...
    Olga

Comment

Ok here goes...
      Edith Nichols bc 1887 Kent. I think she was born the end of 1887, as there is a b reg for then.

Comment

Have you found her on any census - if so can you give some details?
        Are you looking for her in a particular census?
        Who are her parents?
        Elaine

Comment

Where in Kent was she born, and did she stay there through the '91 and '01 censuses? It could help track her down.

Comment

I have her on the 91 census, RG12 p35 f70 p64 with her widowed mother and sister and 1901 rg13/51 131 p39 (i think). She has disappeared by 1911, I can't find her on the indexes. She would be aged around 24.

Comment

I don't know where in Kent she was born, she was in Hammersmith both census.

Comment

Hammersmith seems to come under Fulham district for the relevant period, and accg to freebmd there is an Edith Nichols marrying in the dectqr 1906 there, Fulham 1a, 733

Comment

Checks that I would do:

Check freeBMD marriages between 1905'ish and 1911 in London and make a note of any possible husbands.
                  Then check the 1911 census to see if there are any Ediths with that surname, born 1887 +/- 2yrs in Kent. If you haven't got a subscription to FMP then you can search on the 1911 census site free of charge. Obviously if you find something you will need to pay to view the record.

Check the LMA records on Ancestry - there are 12 marriages for an Edith Nichols in the London area between 1905 and 1915 - look at each record and see if the details of father match.

Of course, this is presuming you stayed in the London area - if she moved further afield then it's going to be difficult.

Have you checked online trees to see if anyone else has her in their tree - Genes Reunited, Ancestry, Tribal Pages etc.
                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks very much for the advice. I am trying to find a marriage that is the right one. I am not subscribed to ancestry. But you have given me pointers on how to go about it. I have found one, but this Edith has middle names, and as far as I have it, my Edith didn't. Unless of course she decided to add them!

Comment

What was Edith's father's name and occupation please?
                      Jackie

Comment

Do you have her parents names please treesa
                        Olga

Comment

Parents were Mary and George. George was a basket maker, and at one time a grocer.

Comment

I would check with another census site apart from ancestry - couldn't find a couple of families on ancestry at all even with the subsequent images from the other site.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I've been on fmp, but still no luck.

Comment

There are no marriages jumping out at me from the Ancestry LMA records with the right father and time frame.
                                Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                                  There are no marriages jumping out at me from the Ancestry LMA records with the right father and time frame.
                                  Same here I'm afraid treesa
                                  Olga

Comment

On the 1891 census it has Halstead, Kent for Edith's birth, her sister Nellie has Hammersmith, London and the mother Mary has Devon. Mary is living on own means.

Comment

Originally posted by Kate P View Post
                                      Hammersmith seems to come under Fulham district for the relevant period, and accg to freebmd there is an Edith Nichols marrying in the dectqr 1906 there, Fulham 1a, 733
                                      This doesn't sound right I know, but I have been searching on 1911 for the possible couple of this marriage and the only match seems to be an Edith Bonner, born 1887, married to William Bonner but they are living in Bolton. I don't suppose you know any reason why they might have moved there do you Teresa? It would be good to see the actual page to find out where she was born. That Edith Bonner possibly died in Bolton in 1948. And I can't find a reference for a likely Edith Nichols with only one Christian name in Lancs for the period.

Her birth is proving difficult but there is a birth of an Edith Nichols that comes up on Free BMD as having the wrong reference in June 1887. It's listed as Sevenoaks but has a reference of 2a 615.
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Yes that's the birth reg I thought was hers, i saw it on ancestry.
                                        MAGGIE - thanks very much for checking the 91 - at least I have a place in Kent now.

CHRISSIE - I know her sister moved away from London/Middlesesex, so it can't be ruled out that Edith did too. I also had a think and was going to go through all the counties one by one.

Comment

Working...
                                        X