Maria Charlwood 1853

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maria Charlwood 1853

Trying to trace my great grandmother Maria Charlwood 1853 in earlier life she was married to John Sowter, previous Souter in 1890 in Milton Gravesend Kent .Marriage cert states age 38 and her father as William Charlwood Labourer. 1891 and 1901 census states born Holloway London, Only one I can find in that area around that time is Rosina Maria Charlwood 1853,she married a Glensor and died in London ,Not her,
    There are William Charlwood's in Horley Croydon, perhaps another mistake on the census (Horley Holloway) There is a Maria Charlwood born Croydon 1853, is this her. Can find no trace of her or her mother in ealier census. Anyone Help

I think your best bet would be to order the birth certificate for Maria Charlwood in Croydon. Once you know for sure that this is here then you can work on finding her in 1861-1881. Peoples places of birth are not always accurate on census, I have one person claiming on 3 different census to have been born in 3 different places. Good luck
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Many thanks for that Vikki, I will do that ,I was just thinking there might be another Charlwood out there who might recognise the name. I had trouble finding her husband John Souter ,one census he was born in Bury Sussex, another Bury Suffolk, it was'nt until I found him in an earlier census with his family in Suffolk, which gave his place of birth as Cockfield.Her aunt Ann Charlwood was living with her in Gravesend in 1891 and gives her place of birth as Bury Lancs,which could have been Bury Sussex. So probably the Charlwood family came from the Surry, Sussex area. Again Thanks

Comment

There are loads of Charlwood's in the Surrey/Croydon area. Cant see a Maria though on the IGI , anyway.

Just to confuse the issue, Charlwood is also a place name , again near to Croydon
        Jess

Comment

Many thanks for your reply Jess,yes I did know about Charlwood,I have just found a William Charlwood (Labourer) born Coulsdon abt 1824. 1891 census living Canning Town, North Woolwich,with Wife Susan, (Maria's only daughter was a Susan, and one of her other children was born Silver Town ,next door.) I think I am getting closer. All the best John

Comment

Working...
          X