Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephens family nightmare

Hello all

I have been having major problems with finding this family.
    There is a child by the name of Joseph Edward Stephens born Sep Qtr 1900 at Newport Monmouthshire.
    I cannot seem to locate him on the 1901 census anywhere. His mother's name was Mary E Stephens.
    He seemed to be the eldest child that I can tell according to the 1911 census which states that his parents were married in 1899.

The following siblings were born in Crown hill Devonshire, Lichfield and Aldershot.
    It looks like the father who was not present on the 1911 was in the forces.

Any help locating them would be fantastic.

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Could he (and they) have been with a Regiment which was overseas in 1901?

If you get a birth cert for one or other of the children, it might give you enough info to make a more informed guess?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine

That is a possibility, 2 years later they had another daughter born in Crown hill Devonshire.
      I think perhaps I may have to purchase a cert for them but Im not 100% this is my OH's family so was hoping to find some info to back it up futher.
      The father's name I hope it to be is John Stephens.

Danny

Comment

Crown Hill is part of Plymouth. Perhaps someone in Devon could look up Ellen's baptism (1901-2) for you?

By the same token, there may be someone in Staffs who could look up May's baptism in Lichfield (1903-4), or in Hampshire who could look up Florence Ann's baptism in Aldershot (1904-5).

I did think I'd found him in 1901, but the father's a miner, and the mother is Mary A not Mary E... and he's 11mo old, and born in Derbyshire.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think that might be my only option if i want to save some money untill im sure.

Thankyou for your advice.

I also spotted that family and thought id struck gold at first.

Danny

Comment

I've tried most of the tricks I could think of. Elaine...Spain is good at finding needles in haystacks (in the context of censuses, anyway). if she spots this, she might have a go for you.

Christine

Comment

Thankyou Christine

Lets hope that happens as this is causing me right bother.

Danny

Comment

Mary E's PoB is tricky to read. The first letter looks like a P (Point Asaphflint), but I think it's supposed to be Saint Asaph, Flint. That's even odder when you think she's saying she's Irish, but born in Wales! Perhaps a child of the forces, herself? Or just that her parents had come to England in search of work.

Christine

Comment

Sorry the reply has been a while but i popped to tescos.

It does seem a wee bit odd but it goes well with this very unhelpful family.

Danny

Comment

From what it states about how long they have been married and the fact that there is a child born in Chester (where they ended up) by the name of Stephens with mothers maiden name Flynn it ties up with a marrige of John Stephens and Mary Elizabeth Flynn.
                    John is the name of the father that Florence Ann Stephens gave on her marriage cert to Thomas Fisher.

Danny

Comment

I have found a Mary Flynn born 1875 in Pantasaph which is actually a place (Never heard of it before)

She is living in Wakefield Yorkshire.

Danny

Comment

That sounds right!

It's just off the A55 near Holywell. (courtesy of Google Maps)

The 1911 says "Pant Asaphflint", once you know what you're looking for - but it has a stray dot to make the "Pant" look as if it ought to be "Saint".

Christine
                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 11-01-10, 20:12.

Comment

There's a small collection of FLYNNs with BMD events in Flintshire and which show up on N Wales BMD. http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk

One of them is in 1872: FLYNN Mary Elizabeth Flint Flintshire (Mold) FLNT/20/55
                          but it isn't specifically Holywell.

Christine

Comment

Just to make life interesting, there's a Mary Ellen FLYNN in 1881, in her family at RG11/5529 fo72 p3
                            The parents are Patrick and Ellen - which matches an 1846 marriage on the same site.
                            But the family shows up in 1871, and Mary Ellen is 3 months old. I think that must rule her out... and those parents.
                            RG10/5669 fo44 p3

There's a potential for lots of siblings!

Christine

Comment

Working...
                            X