Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Whitebread Holtaway story...as we know it...any ideas??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Whitebread Holtaway story...as we know it...any ideas??

Here is my problem. I'll explain from the very begining. (appologies to anyone who goes on rootschat as I've stuck it on there as well). IF anyone has any ideas where I can go from here, then that would be great.

It starts with EDWARD WHITEBREAD HOLTAWAY. The first 'apperance' of this man is when he married JEMIMA ELIZA DRANE ON 14 Sept 1886. On the marriage cert, one of the witnesses is GEORGE WHITEBREAD. And his father is named as WILLIAM HOLTAWAY. According to the age stated by Edward on the cert and also on every census after that, he should have been born in 1859. He also states on every census ('91, '01 & '11) that he was born in Islington. So far we have NOT been able to find a birth for him. He should appear on the 1861 census, but the only candidate is an EDWARD WHITEBREAD, who was a visitor at the home of THOMAS AND ELNER WHITEBREAD, along with another boy GEORGE WHITEBREAD (this is why I mentioned him after the marriage cert). On the 1871 census, I found a HOLTAWAY family in London. The head is William, wife is Mary, son also WILLIAM and his wife ELEANOR (born West Hanningfield) and their son EDWARD (W/N/R?) HOLTAWAY born in Islington. On the 1911 census he is living in Billericay with his two aunts, MATILDA GREEN and LOUISA TAYLOR. both born in West Hanningfield. Both ladies were WHITEBREAD before they were married and also I found them on them 1841 census with THOMAS WHITEBREAD (seems to be the same one as 1861 census). Thomas & Eleanor (Elner) Whitebread had several children born between 1824 - 1838: Sarah, Alfred, William, Lucy, Louisa, Matilda, Mary, Eleanor and John. So far I can't find a marriage between William Holtaway and Eleanor Whitebread (or any marriage between any people of those surnames) I can't find a birth of Edward, so don't know who his mother was.

Edward & Jemima had 4 children (that we know of) Amy, Nora Bessie, Leonard and Harold. Nora married George Johnson and had one daughter (my partners mother). Leonard married and had one son, Leonard T E, who never married and as far as we know didn't have any children. He died in 1995. Harold married Minnie Oxley. He died in 1974 and didn't have any children. We think Amy went to Canada. And as far as we know Leonard T E Holtaway was the last family member to hold the family bible.

Jemima Eliza DRANE b. 1866 (parents Thomas Drane and Sophia Fowler). She had two brothers, Samuel and Charles (b.1860, moved to Canada after his wife died, died 1934) and a sister Emily. We know nothing of Samuel or of Emily. Charles married Sarah Whitebread (not the same Sarah as above, but possibly related) and they had several children: Emily (b.1882 went to Canada with her father), Maude (b.1887), Ada (b.1889), Bertha (b.1891), Daisy (b.1897), Lillian (b.1898 married Nora Bessie's husband after Nora died during child birth and raised the daughter) and Fred (b.1900 and also went to Canada with his father). On the 1911 census Lillian and Daisy were in North Surrey Industrial School. We don't know what happened to Maude or Ada. Bertha married Arthur Bell and they had a daughter Marjorie. Daisy married Fred Baker and they had two children.

My MAIN question is WHO were the parents of Edward Whitebread Holtaway? Does anyone know or can anyone else work it out?
    Please note that Holtaway is transcribed as HOLLOWAY a lot of the time, especially on ancestry. And Whitebread is sometimes Whitbread.

Thanks
    Lisa

Hi - is this his death? If so, does the info or burial info provide any clues?
    Deaths Mar 1927
    Holtaway Edward W 62 W.Ham 4a 225

Do you think one of these could be him?

Births Mar 1857
    Whitbread Edward Islington 1b 170
    Whitebread Edward Islington 1b 170
    Births Jun 1859
    Whitbread Edward Bishop Islington 1b 179

Comment

Just noticed the marriage cert is on Ancestry. There was a third witness, a Holtaway but I can't read the first name.
      Moggie

Comment

Hi Both
        I have one of the birth certs and have sent off for the other one
        The marriage cert on ancestry is on my tree!
        ta
        Lisa

Comment

It's a strong possibility that George Whitebread is his brother. There is a birth for a George Whitbread in Chelmsford (which includes West Hanningfield) in Jun Quarter 1854 (4a 123). Maybe that would give a clue to the parents, whether they were married at the time.

Linda
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I've sent off for the birth cert for Edward Bishop Whitebread, so that should be here at the end of the week. Then possibly send off for Georges one after that, depending on what it tells me.
            Thanks for your efforts so far!

Comment

There are a number of Holtaway's in the London Gazette - http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/hom...geotype=London

Comment

Thanks naomiatt - I'll have a look...hopefully one of them will give me a clue

Comment

the birth certificate for Edward arrived today:

15 March 1859, 7 Charlotte Street
                  Edward Bishop
                  Boy
                  No father
                  Ellen Whitbread
                  no father occupation
                  Ellen Whitbread, mother, 7 Charlotte Street, Cal....Road
                  registered 20 April 1859

So, I don't know if this my Edward Whitebread Holtaway.....any ideas?

Comment

Have you googled 7 Charlotte St, Caledonian Rd, 1861? I got info showing for No 9...don't know if they're connected??....

Comment

Working...
                    X