Bethnal Green Burials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bethnal Green Burials

Hi very knowledgeable folks on the site.
    I want to start and look for the final resting place of my gr gr gand parents that died in 1900 and 1935.
    Both were living in Bethnal Green at the time, one passing away at the Bethnal Green Infirmary in 1900 and the other in the North Middx Hospital which might be in Edmonton in1935 so I am hoping the they were finaly laid to rest together in 1935.

Where might have they been buried or where is a good place to start and do some researching...any help will be gratefully recieved,
    Thanks in advance
    Tony Palmer

There are some religion-specific cemeteries in that area. The Jewish cemetery MIs are being photographed/transcribed/indexed, I think, but there are also C of E, and Independent cemeteries.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

One possiblity location-wise is Abney Park cemetery in Stoke Newington. It was run by a private company which went bust about 25 years ago. It is now owned by Hackney Council and run by a Trust. One thing to be aware of is that if the "rent" on a plot was not renewed the gravestone could be removed and the remains disinterred and buried elsewhere in the cemetery and the plot sold to someone else.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

You might find this link useful for London cemeteries.

Abney Park that Uncle John mentions has a searchable database

Many of my East End family are buried at the City of London Cemetery in Manor Park which is enormous

Jackie

Comment

Hi Tony - are you able to provide their names?

Comment

Good morning and thanks to you Christine, Uncle John, Night Owl and naomiatt for your help in helping me with this part of my family.

Interstesting abt the transciptions taking place arrrrr what a job, but the results will be fantastic as even with my own family and with nature taking over and with the covering of ivy they wont be about for much longer I feel...my thanks to them.

Looks like a good direction to go will be the Abney Park cemetery in Stoke Newington...didnt realise the remains could be removed though.

Looks like a good day to search through all the links that you have advised me to check out...good day for it here as even the "brass monkeys" are frozen lol.

Yes naomiatt the names and details are:
            George Palmer(no middle names), born 2 Oct 1841 at 5 Silver Street, St Giles Cripplegate, died 3 Dec 1900 in the Bethnal Green Infirmary.
            Amelia Margaret Palmer(nee Clapham), born 29 July 1845 Hammmonds Ave, Overy st, Dartford, Kent, died 17 Oct 1935 in the North Middx Hospital..had fallen down the stairs, what a shame.
            The had both been living in Coventry St, Bethnal Green at the time.

So thanks again all for you prompt replies
            Tony
            Last edited by tglyn; 11-01-10, 10:25. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Hi Tony - hopefully you'll find them through the above sites....if you go round in circles, Tower Hamlets Archives might have some ideas;-
              Local History and Archives Library
              277 Bancroft Road
              El 4DQ
              Local History: 020 7364 1290
              Archives: 020 7364 1289
              Fax: 020 7364 1292
              Email: localhistory@towerhamlets.gov.uk

Comment

Hi naomiatt
                Thanks for the additional direction, I have emailed them and I hope I might hear back some time soon.

So still beavering with all your help, nothing yet..
                Tony

Comment

I'd be inclined to start the hunt with Amelia, and hope that George is in the same place. Having said that, George doesn't seem to have been as common a name as one might have thought.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I would not put too much faith on actually seeing the graves in Abney Park.
                    Online search database will give you a rough location, but the site is so overgrown and graves in such a state that I could not find a single one of the locations of 12 burials that are in my tree there.
                    A friend even had a staff member show the exact location of a burial and it was a bramble nest with unreadable and broken stones.
                    SIte is also a 'haunt' of strange men who like to 'smile' at you as you walk past, (if you get my drift 'dearie').
                    Originally posted by tglyn View Post
                    Good morning and thanks to you Christine, Uncle John, Night Owl and naomiatt for your help in helping me with this part of my family.

Interstesting abt the transciptions taking place arrrrr what a job, but the results will be fantastic as even with my own family and with nature taking over and with the covering of ivy they wont be about for much longer I feel...my thanks to them.

Looks like a good direction to go will be the Abney Park cemetery in Stoke Newington...didnt realise the remains could be removed though.

Looks like a good day to search through all the links that you have advised me to check out...good day for it here as even the "brass monkeys" are frozen lol.

Yes naomiatt the names and details are:
                    George Palmer(no middle names), born 2 Oct 1841 at 5 Silver Street, St Giles Cripplegate, died 3 Dec 1900 in the Bethnal Green Infirmary.
                    Amelia Margaret Palmer(nee Clapham), born 29 July 1845 Hammmonds Ave, Overy st, Dartford, Kent, died 17 Oct 1935 in the North Middx Hospital..had fallen down the stairs, what a shame.
                    The had both been living in Coventry St, Bethnal Green at the time.

So thanks again all for you prompt replies
                    Tony

Researching:
                    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Hi Christine and Trev...thanks for the addition info reguarding my search for Amelia and George around Bethnal Green.

Trevor, I take onboard what you are saying about Abbey Park Cem. so fully understand what you are saying.
                      Still would be nice if they are in there so will be checking with the office folk there if they have any info.

Seems a good idea of yours Christine to find Amelia first ...less of them maybe than George, thanks.

Got my first reply back, shame it cost though, from Manor Park Cemetery & Crematorium folks and they are not there although they have also sent me a list of other possible Cemeteries they might be at and contact numbers....nice one.
                      Long way to go I feel but as I am addicted its fun.
                      Thanks
                      Tony;)
                      Christine, note you are playing a spanish guitar in your photo

Comment

Originally posted by tglyn View Post
                        I think she's also going under the pseudonym of Joan Baez!
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                          Quote Originally Posted by tglyn
                          I think she's also going under the pseudonym of Joan Baez!
                          I have to admit that the photo isn't very recent! But, yes, it is a Spanish-type guitar, but used for folk music, generally. Any classical music skills I have don't extend to the guitar, I'm afraid.

And, yes, UJ, Joan Baez repertoire has been a staple of mine. :smilee:

Christine

Comment

Wow folks and all you great helpers on the site.

Guess what, with your help I have located them both at the" City of London Cemetery", Aldersbrook Rd, Little Ilford, London, E12 5DQ.
                            The people in the office there just rang me back and confirmed all the full grave details...including they are in "Second Class Graves" ? ? ? Thanks to Jennie Taylor in the office.

I feel a visit there very soon to be alongside them again.....George was buried on my bithday 41 years earlier.

Thanks millons again for all you help.
                            Tony
                            Ps: Christine when is your first CD due out, got three family members still playing,"Phil Palmer", "Steve Harley", "Ray Davies".. so keep at it.
                            xx
                            Last edited by tglyn; 14-01-10, 16:04. Reason: Postcode correction...Thanking Maggie for the Postcode error

Comment

Beware the postcode is E12 not E2 just in case you were thinking of going there.

Its near Wanstead Flats.

Quite close to Manor Park cemetary. I also should have said Woodgrange isn't far from there either.
                              Last edited by Guest; 14-01-10, 16:14.

Comment

Hi Maggie
                                Thanks for seeing my typing error, much apreciated....finger trouble here
                                I have corrected the original as can be seen.

So pleased to have located them and hoping a grave stone might be there.
                                The kind folks at the Cem are even sending me a location map to, great sevice and help.

Tony

Comment

They are very helpful there.

Comment

Pleased you've found them Tony. You'll definitely need that cemetery map - its supposed to be the largest municipal cemetery in Europe
                                    Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                                      Pleased you've found them Tony. You'll definitely need that cemetery map - its supposed to be the largest municipal cemetery in Europe
                                      It never feels that big when I go there but then I know where I'm going when I get there

Comment

Hi Maggie and Nightowl

Never been to that cemetery so from what you are saying good walking boots and stamina will be needed.
                                        I am hoping the grave location maps and details the folks are sending will make it easier to locate the grave and fingers crossed a headstone.
                                        Can you drive round most of the cemetery by the way.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                                        X