The same person..or not???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The same person..or not???

I have on my grandfather's WW1 service record, his guardian's name, MRS ANNIE SMITH 14 CUMBERLAND PLACE NOTTINGHAM dated 1914 and again 1916. My family knows Annie was a widow at this time. I found ANNIE at the same address in the 1915/16 Wrights Trade Directory. She does not appear before or after that one entry in any other trade directory year.

However I did find in the 1911 census a MRS ANNIE SMITH victualler at SIR FRANCIS BURDETT MOUNT ST NOTTINGHAM- a widow. Mount St adjoins Cumberland. This Annie I can trace through trade directories forward to 1914 and backwards to 1900 and using censuses onto her marriage/ widowhood/husband's previous occupation and Annies birth (nee TAYLOR) in 1865.

How can I establish whether I have 2 Annies or they are one and the same lady. Would there be some documentation to do with the Cumberland address that would help? I though a rate book perhaps. I fortunately have the 'pub' Annie's handwriting in the 1911 census as a good start. The only other fact I know is by 1938 the guardian Annie was running a boarding house in Monks Rd Lincoln.....and I can't find anything on that in any trade directory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated from way out here in the colony!! J
    I've lost my aunty! ANNIE SMITH last known address 232 WEST PARADE, LINC'S in 1939.

What was Annie and her husbands occupation in 1901? If they were in the pub trade I should think there is a good chance that it's her in 1911.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Might be worth contacting the Notts Record Office; they should have records of victuallers' licences.

Comment

Hi,thank you Chrissie and Mary

I can ascertain that the pub Annie is the same all through the census and to the trade directories for the pubs up to 1914. By 1915/16 Pub Annie no longer runs the pub according to the15/16 trade directory- another licensee is in there . But what I can't do is make the connection to (my) Annie Smith-resident at 14 Cumberland St in the trade edition of 1915/16 and the pub Annie in the 1914 and previous entries.There is no more family knowledge unfortunately.
        I have emailed the Notts archive ..thanks for the suggestion and link Chrissie..to ask if they hold the victuallers licenses. That would give me a little more back ground on the pub Annie, but not necessarily info to link to the resident Annie ( my Annie).
        I've lost my aunty! ANNIE SMITH last known address 232 WEST PARADE, LINC'S in 1939.

Comment

Hi - these may be able to give you some ideas re; the addresses and Annie -
          http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/aboutus.htm also, perhaps the Notts Record Office can tell you who were living at the properties for over a certain time span.... wonder if you can find an obit for her or anything in the local press...if she was linked to the pub, there well could have been a write up about her..http://www.nottsheritagegateway.org....ilyhistory.htm
          (In a hot and muggy Qld!)
          Last edited by naomiatt; 11-01-10, 06:39.

Comment

Working...
          X