William Thomas Parke - grrrrrr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Thomas Parke - grrrrrr

I am being driven mad by my 4x gt g'pa, William Thomas Parke. He appears on the 1842 marriage certificate of his daughter Frances Parke (b abt 1814 and my 3 x gt g'ma), where he gives his full name and says his occupation is 'musician'. I was delighted to discover that he was a well known musician and principal oboeist at Covent Garden for 40 years; he has entries in the Dictionary of National Biography and the Groves reference book on music; he was born in London in 1761 and died in 1847. I've even been able to download a copy of the book he wrote.

There are plenty of records about his other children: he had 2 or 3 children by his mistress, who died in 1807; in 1822 he married Maria Darvell, with whom he had children both before and after the marriage. His status on the marriage register is "widower". So at some point there was an earlier marriage, which produced daughter Frances.

I've been through IGI with a fine toothcombe, I've searched the National Archive and all the sources Ancestry has, but I can find no information about William's birth, baptism or parentage, nor his marriage to Frances's mother nor any kind of will (his various kids must have wanted to throttle him). (I have found his mistresse's will.) I can't find Frances' baptism either. I've had a look at Find My Past, but it would expensive to look at every Parke it finds.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might stop me banging my head on the wall?
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Have you contacted Covent Garden? They may have archives. He sounds a fascinating chap! Had a quick Google and saw that he had a younger brother John - 1745 - 1829 also an oboist and very famous in his day too. It mentions that John studied under Baiengarten, which suggests the possibility that either of them could have spent time abroad.

Sorry - not much help regarding your original request and you probably know this already - just found a reference to John's daughter Maria Parke-Beardmore who had a sonata written for her by Haydn (Sonata in D) and wrote sonatas herself.
    Last edited by Trina; 09-01-10, 13:52. Reason: More info!

Comment

Originally posted by Trina View Post
      Have you contacted Covent Garden? They may have archives. ... It mentions that John studied under Baiengarten, which suggests the possibility that either of them could have spent time abroad.

Sorry - not much help regarding your original request and you probably know this already - just found a reference to John's daughter Maria Parke-Beardmore who had a sonata written for her by Haydn (Sonata in D) and wrote sonatas herself.
      Oooh... that's an interesting thought - thank you! I'll try Covent Garden. And I'd skated over the information about Maria without taking in the bit about Haydn writing a sonata for her... Thank you again.
      Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

FMP's offering a 14-day free trial at the moment, which might be worthwhile to check baptisms and probates.

Comment

Thank you, I'll have a look at that.

Comment

The seventh item in The Times, Thursday, Jul 13, 1815; pg. 1; Issue 9572; col A appears to refer to your man. Interestingly, it also appears to what we call the Battle of Waterloo as the Battle of la Belle Alliance!

I'd hoped your Frances might have merited an announcement, but apparently not.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I hope you found the 1842 marriage record on LMA on Ancestry? WT Parke's surname has been mis-entered in the Register! Frustrating that they're just given "Full" for ages.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you for that! And it gives his address too!

Comment

No! I hadn't found this! I have an Ancestry subscription, but which one is the LMA marriage record and how was his name mis-entered? He'd have been 81 in 1842... Thank you so much for taking the trouble to look. (Goes off to have another look at 1842 marriages...)

Comment

I see the son, Edmund, got married 21 Jun 1847 at St Leonard Shoreditch.
                    and George Frederick (?named for Handel?) 2 Jan 1847 at St Mary, Stoke Newington (1847 was an expensive year!). He was widowed, and remarried 31 Mar 1866 at St Mary Stratford Bow.

And Charles 16 Sep 1842 at St Mary, Stoke Newington (1842 was an expensive year, too!)

Maria waited until 1 Dec 1850 at St John the Baptist, Hoxton

Thomas James on 16 May 1864 at St Andrew, Hoxton

Christine

Comment

I found the others by putting PARKE as the bridal surname (no first name) and William Thomas PARKE as bridal father.

The one for Frances had his surname entered as PARKER.

Christine
                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 10-01-10, 16:16.

Comment

Thank you for going to all this trouble! I had looked for and found some of the childrens' marriages, but hadn't got round to the others.

Comment

Just in case you missed my edit, above:

The one for Frances had his surname entered as PARKER.

Christine

Comment

There are three baptisms for Henry and Frances's children, too, at St Philip, Clerkenwell:

Louisa Harriet 2 Feb 1848
                            Frances 14 Dec 1853
                            Clara Amelia 20 Feb 1859

Christine

Comment

My goodness Christine, thanks for all this help! And, yes I found the Parke/Parker mistake.

Comment

I hope I haven't been spoiling your fun? I should have just told you that the records were worth a hunt.

I haven't looked for any burial records - and there could be some of those, too?

Christine

Comment

No, you haven't been spoiling my fun! (Sorry for delay replaying - I was off-line for a few days.) I'm working my way through the burial records for various members of the family, but haven't got to the Parke's yet.

Thanks again,

Belinda

Comment

Working...
                                  X