Dutch translation wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutch translation wanted.

Can anyone please help in the translation of the following piece of text - I've tried online translators and they just bring up goobledegook. I think the child was illegitimate, and I know the parents were cousins.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Gedoopt 24.4.1768, Elisabet , dochter van Cornelis van Aalst , en van Margarita van Aalst .
    Dit kint is buijten den echt gebooren. Over haare vuijle sonde sijn de ouders en privatim, en
    publice ernstigh dogh medelijdende bestraft en hebben daar op eenigsins naa het uijtwendige
    leetweesen betoont. Getuigen: D. van Aalst , als Grootvader en oom en Aart van Beest als oom
    en Janske van Aalst als nigt.

Thanks,

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
    Can anyone please help in the translation of the following piece of text - I've tried online translators and they just bring up goobledegook. I think the child was illegitimate, and I know the parents were cousins.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Gedoopt 24.4.1768, Elisabet , dochter van Cornelis van Aalst , en van Margarita van Aalst .
    Dit kint is buijten den echt gebooren. Over haare vuijle sonde sijn de ouders en privatim, en
    publice ernstigh dogh medelijdende bestraft en hebben daar op eenigsins naa het uijtwendige
    leetweesen betoont. Getuigen: D. van Aalst , als Grootvader en oom en Aart van Beest als oom
    en Janske van Aalst als nigt.
    That's something for me!

Baptised on 24/4/1768, Elisabet, daughter of Cornelis van Aalst, and of Margarita van Aalst.
    This child was born outside wedlock. Over her dirty sin, her parents are secretive and were publically badly but pitiously punished and
    they have for the whole of it, but for a little, shown outside grief/remorse. Witnesses: D. van Aalst, as grandfather and uncle and Aart van Beest as uncle and Janske van Aalst as cousin (female).

It seems that they had done some hanky panky ;).

Interesting. Was this in Belgium or not? Van Aalst seems to denote that their ancestors at least came from the city of Aalst in Belgium (to the left of Brussels on the map). Have fun!

Comment

Thanks very much Kiki - I thought they had been a little naughty. They came from the town of Ophemert in Netherlands. Oodles of my ancestors came from there, it's quite good fun trying to sort out all the relationships through all the intermarrying that went on.

Linda
      Linda

Comment

I think you might at some point end up in Aalst or so. But it depends if the name has been derived from something else, although it is quite common.

No wonder that it was not possible to consult an online translator, because the language is kind of Shakespearian, I think the equivalent to English people might feel like.

Good luck. Glad my mothertongue could be of service.

Comment

The surname "van Aalst" means "from/of Aalst", suggesting that the name originated in a place called Aalst.

But as well as the city of Aalst in Belgium which kiki1982 mentioned, there are also 2 Belgian villages called Aalst: one which is part of St Truiden in the province of Limburg; and according to Wikipedia another one which in the municipality of Hoegaarden in the province of Flemish Brabant.

And there are 3 villages called Aalst in the Netherlands: one which is now merged with Waalre, near Eindhoven in the province of Noord-Brabant; one in the municipality of Zaltbommel in the province of Gelderland; and a hamlet called Aalst which is now part of the municipality of Buren, near Wageningen in the province of Gelderland.
          So the surname could have originated in any of these places.

As you probably already know, Ophemert is also in the province of Gelderland.
          Last edited by Cloggie; 11-01-10, 08:24.
          Sarah

Comment

Thanks Cloggie - our van Aalsts go back to 1630 in Ophemert, and they married into the van Hemerts who go back to the late 1200's. It does help that they stayed in the same area for son long.

Linda
            Linda

Comment

Yes, it's handy when they stay put isn't it? :smilee:

Are you familiar with this site?: http://www.oud-ophemert.nl/
              If you click on "Genealogie" at the bottom, it will bring up a page of family trees, one of which is for the van Aalst family.

There are also some links to baptisms ("doopgegevens") and marriages ("huwelijksgegevens") as well as other records, if you click on "Bronnen" at the bottom of the page.
              Sarah

Comment

Sarah that's fantastic, I hadn't come across this page before - had a quick look on the van Aalst tree - they are all my van Aalsts, but with extras. Must tear myself away now as I have some (say it quietly) housework to do before offspring gets home. I know where I will be tonight tho!

Thank you, thank you

Linda
                Linda

Comment

You're welcome Linda. I thought maybe you had already found it, as the van Aalst tree on there goes back to about the same period you mentioned. There are some nice old photos of Ophemert on there as well (click on "Foto's" and then "Algemene afbeeldingen van Ophemert en Zennewijnen".
                  If you need help with the Dutch, just shout. :smilee:
                  Sarah

Comment

Waw, Cloggie, thanks for teaching me more about my own country :o. So, maybe not an immigration during the religious wars then...

It i indeed more plausible if Ophemert is in the same province as one of those villages Aalst.

Comment

Hoi Kiki!
                      I had a feeling I'd heard of a place called Aalst in Holland but wasn't sure, so did a bit of googling and found several Aalsts listed on Wikipedia. I didn't realise there were so many though! :smilee:
                      Sarah

Comment

Working...
                      X