Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone please help? We don't know who this is

Ok, the story goes like this:

There are these two photos, and I think the two women are the same, but I can't be sure as there is quite a lot of time inbetween. The first photo we have located on a website of an American guy who believes that this is his Polish greatgrandmother. The second we have located when we went to alledged family in Poland that looked amazingly like my husband's family (!), but they don't know who the man is on the picture. The thing is that the eldest son looked amzingly like him (he has died in the meantime, but I have seen fotos and they seem to be right), so they think it is their greatgrandfather who was a merchant seaman and at some point around 1905 (that's when the couple's only son was born) suddenly disappeared. We are not quite sure whether the man was lost at sea or just left his wife. We are starting to think that the same man suddenly resurfaced in Great-Britain, in the middle of WWI (Christmas 1915), coming from Canada and never going to war. He married another woman whose husband was in France fighting when 'she was delivered from a female child' of which this Pole was the father (literally rom the divorce file).

So: here are the pîctures (if I have no trouble posting them ;)). Are those two women the same? Has anyone an idea of the priod of this Uhlan-uniform (cavalry)? It should be Prussian, but with a wavy Polish collar. I know the picture is not very good, but that was the state of it when we saw it in the Polish house...

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com...0014photo.html

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...24aa32b76f76a3

And I did have trouble posting them! :lol:
    Last edited by kiki1982; 09-01-10, 10:42.

I think it is possible she is the same woman. She has the same long, straight nose and short distance from nose to top lip. Her mouth makes a straight line in both photos as well. I don't know enough about dating though!

Anne

Comment

Thanks for the boost of confidence.

I'll be waiting for more detailed info.

It could be that the second picture was taken at about the turn of the century, but I'm not sure, certainly due to the uniform.

But thanks for your opinion!

Comment

The uniform on the picture has been dated to the 1918-1921 Polish-Soviet war. Anybody want to comment on the cloting and hairstyle of the woman with the man?

Personally I think that it is the first half of the war as she is still wearing a corset.

As to the second picture with the older woman. I'm a little at a loss... It looks like 1920s-30s hairstyle, definitely later than 1910s. Her clothes are not really representative. Personally I'd opt for a later date towards the 30s, but I'm not sure...
        Last edited by kiki1982; 28-01-10, 10:17.

Comment

So if the uniform dates the younger woman to about 1918 to 1921 - looking more closely at her clothes I would say these are definitely early 1920s clothes.
          Looking at the older woman I now have trouble saying they are the same person because her photo seems too early to be that smart young woman grown older. If it was her it would be into the 1950s before a photo of her looking as old as this could be taken. With old ladies its difficult because they didn't follow fashion so closely but the pose, style and quality of the photo are definitley earlier than the 1950s.
          Perhaps the older woman is the younger one's mother??? The do look similar.

Anne

Comment

Working...
          X