Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past No Results

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere.

Yesterday I upgraded my subscription from 1911 Census to Explorer + 1911 Census. Things went great at first, but last night things started to go strange. Every query I search came back with 0 results. Now I know that the information is there because I entered a query direct from a print out of a 1911 Census I had (just to test) and it came back 0 results.

Is anyone else having problems searching Find my Past please?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Linda
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Update - Think I must be going loopy or someone has thrown a switch somewhere.

Sent an e-mail to find my past and within three minutes everything seems OK. In the meanwhile I had cleared my cookies.

Lets just say that this one is resolved for the time being.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Glad it is working for you now. Perhaps the cookies were the problem after all.
      I thought I had problems with FMP once - until I realised I was putting the first and second names in the wrong boxes!! No idea why - must have been having a senior moment!

Comment

No, I agree with you actually.

I have an A*****try subscription but find it impossible to use for census searches, especially address searches so I bought some credits from FMP, and then last night, having run out of credits I gave in and purchased a subscription (not incl 1911).... 9 out of 10 times it is perfect but sometimes it's just rubbish. I *know* the info is there because I found it yesterday (but stupidly forgot to save or print it) so I had to find it on Anc. then search by census reference. All I had searched on was John Clark, Hampshire in the 1841 census and it said there were zero results...... right, like there are going to be no John Clarks in Hampshire at all... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

But, most of the time its good. I agree with whoever said in an ideal you would have a sub to FMP and Anc. because they are so different and each have good and bad points.

Rachel

Comment

I am threatening to tell them I want my money back cos that keeps happening to me.

I am so disapointed, FMP used to be good & any query would be dealt with quickly & efficiently but I complained about that self same problem on Monday & I'm still waiting for a response.
          I know the info is there cos I find it on the 1911 site but when I go to FMP to get the full info I'm told 0 results.

They are taking money under false pretences!
          Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Rachandgarry View Post
            No, I agree with you actually.

All I had searched on was John Clark, Hampshire in the 1841 census and it said there were zero results...... right, like there are going to be no John Clarks in Hampshire at all... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

But, most of the time its good. I agree with whoever said in an ideal you would have a sub to FMP and Anc. because they are so different and each have good and bad points.

Rachel
            I just had a look at FMP for John Clark in Hampshire in 1841 and there are 3 pages of them!!!
            There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Exactly, Marion! Sometimes it comes up with absolutely nothing and then other times it comes up with the restults fine....

Comment

Do you want to have a quick look on yours now whist I'm online?? See if the results are the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Rachandgarry View Post

I have an A*****try subscription but find it impossible to use for census searches, especially address searches
                  I'm surprised to hear that, because I find Ancestry much better than FMP for census searches; although FMP's transcriptions are a bit better, its search interface is terrible.

However, when you use Ancestry, do make sure that you tick the "exact matches only" box, otherwise you'll get mostly useless results. You can still use wildcards when you tick that box.

The only thing that Ancestry's census search doesn't have and FMP does is an address search (except for 1881).

Comment

Well - all was going well, but we are back to 0 results this morning. Don't think I shall be renewing my subscription. A.......y is more reliable.
                    Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

I've just cancelled my sub to A - the cost alone is ridiculous - and I do get very frustrated with their search patterns - even with exact matches - so I shall put up with FMP for a while. The only thing that frustrates me there is not being able to use the back button!!!!

Comment

must say just this week have not found people on FMP put the exact same details in on Ancestry and there they were ?

Comment

I finally got a reply to my complaint but very unsatisfactory, basicly just pointing me at the statement on the site saying that it was decided to use the same criteria for the 1911 as for their other census, so tuff.
                          My reply was that had made up my mind & when my Ancestry sub became due in March I would be renewing that & not changing to FMP as I had been considering.
                          As always seems to happen, when small helpful sites grow they forget where they came from & go for money not service.
                          Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

I am not a happy pixie. I have no complaints whatsoever about Ancestry. I have always had value for money. On the 4th January I foolishly upped my subscription to FMP from just 1911 to Explorer + 1911. I am grateful that I only took out 6 month subscription. I have cancelled my continuous subscription today. I feel totally let down by Find my past. Their search results, not just on 1911, are totally inconsistent. Absolutely not up to what I have paid. Unless things drastically improve before July, I certainly will not be renewing my membership.

What are they playing at - 0 results for a John Sharpe from Northumberland on 1911. Come on ........
                            Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

One FMP problem I realised is that you can't put second names in the name box of the simple search. If you want to include a second name you have use the Advanced search, and use the middle name box.

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have found some people on Ancestry yet putting the exact details on FMP get no results?

Comment

I use both A***y and FMP for censuses and find the transcription in FMP so much better than A***y but I find A***y better for the front template (where the residence, spouses name, parents names is) - have very rarely had any problems with the FMP "no results" that people are getting.

Comment

I'm finding FMP Explorer great at the moment but I only seem to use it for 1911 and revert back to Ancestry for everything else ....I'll miss Ancestry when it runs out on 2nd Feb.
                                    Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

I've had the opposite - its been on FMP and not on Ancestry (even when I looked and had the correct details).

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I've just taken out a 6 month subscription to FMP whereas previously I used Ancestry. Admittedly, I've used mainly the 1911 census but I've had no problems with it... except I can't find my g grandfather - he's not with his family - very annoying! I was also pleased to find quite a few BMDs on the overseas records.
                                        Jenny

Comment

Working...
                                        X