marriage help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marriage help please

I just found my grandfathers sisters husbands;) death in cwgc but it seems she didnt let the grass grow under her feet. Looks like she had already remarried before his memorial.
    But I cant find the marriage.
    Arthur William SELFE married Elsie Doris SMITH 1916 Dartford Kent. He died 20 Nov 1917 but it says she is Mrs E D GLADDISH formerly SELFE. I already have the GLADDISH family in my tree so wondering who when and where she remarried. CAnt find it on freebmd.

Interesting. There is an Elsie D Selfe marrying a William W Gladdish in the June qtr of 1920 in Dartford, Kent. But nothing earlier...

So I wonder if she'd been living with him as man & wife but they only got round to marrying later on. An intriguing little piece to follow, why wait if husband no1 was already dead?

ETA: I found this through Ancestry. It's doesn't come up under Selfe on freebmd because the transcriber couldn't read the entry - it's listed as S[eo]lfe.
    Last edited by Kate P; 08-01-10, 17:11.

Comment

I have a couple of these where the widow is shown as a different surname. I think it took several years for all the details to be collated and the headstones etc. to be placed, by which time the widow may well have remarried.
      Jackie

Comment

thank you for finding that for me. I was just wondering how soon after he died was the memorial erected. I suppose there was time to remarry, or as you say they may have been living together as man and wife.

Comment

I storngly suspect that nightowl has it. It would be nice to check with cwgc to see if they know exactly when his memorial was erected, that should help considerably.

Comment

I have one where the CWGC record is dated 1923. The soldier died in 1916, not long after the marriage, and the widow remarried about 1920.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

There seem to have been three C of E churches in Dartford conducting marriages at the time - St Alban's, Christ Church and Holy Trinity. The wedding doesn't seem to have been at any of them. I looked here http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/, but could have missed it, I suppose.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

yes I did do a search of some of those as well. Its the same quarter that my grandmother married. Somebody said that you can tellwhich church it was by the numbers on freebmd but I can neve work it out. You would have to make a list of all the churches and marriages to be able to use that system

Comment

done a few searches on line today but couldnt find it so have ordered the certificate. Curiosity killed the cat and all that. I want to see which branch of the Gladdish family she married

Comment

Working...
                  X