Is there anyone in Perth Area, Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cemetery: Is there anyone in Perth Area, Australia

Frederick Charles Unicume is buried at Karrakatta Cemetery, Perth.
    Date of death: 1 May 1971, aged 67 years. Resident of Cloverdale (a suburb of Perth) at the time of death . Memorialised by a Ground niche at the cemetery, location GC section;0007

I beleive that several of my Unicumes are buried at this cemetery in Perth.

I would love to have photos of any memorial/gravestones whatever of this family in Karrakatta Cemetery.

Peter

Peter - if you look at the Research Offers in the wiki, there is someone who has offered to take photos
    Research Offers : Cemetery
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Peter - if you have no luck, you can order photo's from their site - think they only charge if there is a stone. You've probably looked in this, but just in case -

Comment

That's good to know Elaine. I'd not been to that page in a while. I've got a load of folks in there.

Comment

Hi Peter, Hopefully you are still around, as I have only just found this site, because I am the keeper of most of the original Unicumes' documents such as the family bible etc. My 3rd Great Grandfather was also Grandfather to Frank Harold Unicume who didn't emigrate to Australia with his wife Emily Jane Wildish and family in 1914. I am in touch with Frank Harold Unicume's grandson who still lives in Perth along with his Mother (96) and sister.

Some info that may help your search: The Unicumes, I suspect, first came to this country from somewhere else in Europe, as they were only found in the town of Cranbrook, Kent. The family folklore is that the spelling has to be UNICUME as other spellings are for different families. (However as most censuses and other documents contained names spelt phonetically caution is needed as is other evidence to confirm the correct family.) The earliest Unicume, so far is Richard who was a turner living in Cranbrook in the 17th / 18th century and his son who became a surveyor. The family's fortunes turned around when they first bought Wood's Hall Farm, Hartley, Cranbrook then Bull Farm (next door) and then Silverdine House again a farm next door. (Bull and Wood's Hall Farms are again owned by a single family and are now Bed & Breakfast accomodation.) The family grew to such an extent that with the downturn in the farming industry in the 19th century many members of the family emigrated to the Vermont area of the USA and British Columbia, Canada, where their descendants are today.

In Feb 1899 William Unicume owner of Wood's Hall Farm was accidently killed during a pheasant shoot. It is family rumoured, though not confirmed, that he was shot by his father William who owned Bull Farm. He also died in May 1899. The resultant death duties may have caused the sale of both farms in 1900 and the consequent splitting up of the family, many of whom went into service with several others emigrating including Emily Jane and her children.

The really great aspect of researching the Unicume family tree is that anyone found with the name UNICUME and spelt that way is 99% certainly a member of the family. I have managed to link most of the Unicumes in the USA, Canada and Ausrtralia, sadly there are no named Unicumes left in the UK.

Cheers, Alistair Burns

Comment

Welcome to the forum Alistair.
            Peter Stenning hasn't logged in for a couple of months so he may not pick up on your message. It might be better to send him a PM (personal message) by clicking on his username to the left of his post and selecting the "message option". Providing his email address is current, then he will receive notification of your message.
            Elaine

Comment

Hello Alistair,

I joined FTF some while ago when i became unemployed to help with my family research as i had the time then.

I am pleased to make contact with you as i have gained quite a bit of knowledge from various sites and my ageing mother about Emily Jane whose family were connected to my mother through my grandmother.

I am that Emily Jane left the UK with her children for the Perth area, travelling without her Husband , but the reason she did so i have not found out i only have hearsay which i have no proof of its truth.

I do know that the Surname Unicume has been recorded in error on some census pages , along with Emily Jane's brother Jesse Smith-Wildish, who it was said also went to Australia we thought at the same time but can find no trace of him.

My Mother had seen letters from uncle Jesse from Australia so we know he did arrive there.
              I can confirm that the Family did indeed come from Cranbrook, Kent

Peter

Comment

Working...
              X