Kurri Kurri and Cessnock NSW Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cemetery: Kurri Kurri and Cessnock NSW Australia

There were many mining families from Cornwall that settled in Kurri Kurri / Cessnock areas and became coal miners in the late 1800's and early 1900's. I'm happy to photograph places and cemeteries that relate to your family migrant history.
    I've lost my aunty! ANNIE SMITH last known address 232 WEST PARADE, LINC'S in 1939.

Thanks for your offer. Can I also add the details to our Research Offers pages in the wiki (FTF Reference Library) -
    Research Offers: Photographs
    Research Offers: Cemetery
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine

Yes, certainly.Janet
      I've lost my aunty! ANNIE SMITH last known address 232 WEST PARADE, LINC'S in 1939.

Comment

Thanks Janet.
        We seem to have a technical problem with the wiki at the moment but have made a note of your offer and will add the details when the problem is resolved.

Update: now done.
        Elaine

Comment

Jangar - are you from the Kurri Kurri area?
          jood sadly died in November 2019.

Comment

Hi Jood, I work at Kurri and am involved with the township, so I'm up there every week day.The favourite old boyfriend is an ex-Kurri chap so he's in the know too. Anything I can help with? Janet

Comment

Janet will get back to you asap re Kurri Kurri - I have made a few mistakes which need to be sorted out first.

Comment

Janet - sorry I took so long. I've been away.
                My daughter asks (as we are going this together) if you could find any newspaper reports on death of Minnie Dunlop 26 April 1933. The Dunlops, Harveys & Smiths of Kurri Kurri are all related.

One daughter did died in 1914 - a Veronica May Dunlop (not sure if her name was Dunlop or Dunlop Smith.

Comment

Hi

I haven't any access to Kurri as far as newspapers go, sorry. I can offer photos of a known grave at Kurri. Your best bet would be the obits in the Sydney Morning Herald -old copies available at the Mitchell Library I think. Other than that perhaps the Newcastle Morning Herald- but I don't know where old copies are kept- maybe Newcastle Library?? I did a check of Aussie BMD but no entries for the names you mention. J

Comment

Thanks J ..... Will do as you suggested. I presume your friend did not know of the Dunlop family in that area - or the Harveys?

Comment

Hi Jood - is this her? DUNLOP -July 1 1933 at ... mother of Adelaide Lucy May Alice Ted Minnie and LU aged 86 years.......
                      Australia’s free online research portal. Trove is a collaboration between the National Library of Australia and hundreds of Partner organisations around Australia.

although you mentioned April...worth looking the Trove site - you can do an advanced search in the
                      beta site as well using MD or DM or just Dunlop - http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home
                      Last edited by naomiatt; 03-03-10, 07:00.

Comment

I wish Naomi :( The original Minnie was b1867 in Qld and died 1900 NSW
                        Her daughter Minnie who married JJ Dunlop - was born 1897 in WA and died in Kurri Kurri in 1933 which would have made her 36 at death (not 86)

None of those names I've heard of except Minnie.

Thanks for trying Naomi.
                        Last edited by jood; 03-03-10, 08:59.

Comment

I will scout around tomorrow at work and see what the locals on staff come up with. Do you know if the family remained in the area? The Kurri community is quite small.

Let you know tomorrow, J

Comment

Jan - have pm'd you

Comment

Naomi - have pm'd you

Comment

Working...
                              X