Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Hussey Vivian: who is he?

Now identified as Sidney Hussey Vivian b. Kingsly Bucks (Thame) circa 1864

My Aunt Rose, Mabel Rose Shaw married Brabazon Sydney Vivian b.1899 Brentford Middx

I have Baptism records for him and his 2 brothers Maurice Hubert 1894 and Reginald Claude 1896 all from the London Met records.

On each of the records parents are given as Thomas Hussey Vivian and Catherine. Then everything is a blank. I can find no birth record nor marriage for Thomas.

His occupation is as a military man, he is a Colonel Sergeant in the Middx regiment on ‘Uncle Brab’s’ christening record and Sergeant on the two elder boys records

I have found Catherine and the 3 children on the 1901 census, Thomas is not with them. I assume he is doing something military. Catherine is born c.1867 Trowbridge Wilts.

Googleing the name Thomas Hussey Vivian, I get references to the Hussey Vivian family from Cornwall, but still missing Thomas Hussey Vivian. Although I note that the children’s names follow this families naming line. To my limited recollections though, my Aunt and Uncle were just ‘ordinary’ people.

Can anyone help shed some light on this family

Thank you in advance. Suffering from insomnia, I really must try to get some sleep now.
    Last edited by bubblebelle; 08-01-10, 23:59. Reason: update name could not change title
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

I suspect, if he was in the army, that he may have married abroad.

I guess the next step is getting his army service record, which might be at The National Archives in Kew.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Little Nell. That is an all else fails option.

I was going around in circles last night. I will get back to this with fresh eyes later.... I need to dig myself out to get some milk from somewhere. I think my first stop will be to try and find family in 1911 and see if he's on it.

Sorry I don't usually leave a thread like this when i've reached the end of my tether, but it was really bugging me last night.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Unless I've got it wrong I think we should be looking for Sydney Hussey Vivian. I tried searching for Brabazon Sydney on 1911 and came up with him living with Catherine in Brentford. I don't have access to 1911 but by fiddling with the searches I worked out that also there were Dorothy Louise c 1906 and, Reginald Claude c 1897 and Sydney Hussey c 1867

His pension records are on Ancestry and they're worth wading through because there is a lot more information.

His wife was Catherine Howard, spinster and they married in Bombay, India 26.12.1890

I think he eventually became a Colour Sergeant which is probably what it means on Brabazon's birth record
        Jackie

Comment

Hi - this is on FreeBMD for a Sydney H in Brentford -
          Deaths Mar 1929
          Vivian Sidney H 63 Brentford 3a 209

You might find something in here as well or perhaps add to it;-

"The purpose of this site is to bring together information about the people and properties of Brentford High Street from around 1840 to 1940 as a resource for family and local historians"
          Last edited by naomiatt; 08-01-10, 10:15.

Comment

Having braved the hill and bus, how lovely to get home and find this info. Ho strange that he should give his name on all 3 baptism records as Thomas and yet be a Sidney, Brabazons middle name.
            Thank you both so much for your information, I will take a look at 1911 census and these links. In the back of my mind I think my Mum mentioned they had a business but I will have to ring and check... I can't face the hill again!
            Jackie you are probably right re colour sergeant. I just intepreted it as Colonel... not being up to date with military protocol.
            Yes Reginald Claude was the second son, I had not found Dorothy so thanks for that.
            This will keep me busy this afernoon

Once again huge thanks to all of you.... Mandy
            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Have you also tried the spelling Vyvyan. William Henry Vyvyan b1822 Plymouth Devon married into my Hill family. I havent fully researched that branch yet though so cant give you much info . I can contact William Vyvyan's grt grt g'daughter in Canada though for sibling info if she has it.
              Olga
              Olga

Comment

Hi Olga
                Thank you , all spellings of the name I have are Vivian, funnily enough Rose ended her days in Ashburton Devon... so not that far from Plymouth. Have just got 1911 census (FMP made 30 credits as original would not download. It is Sydney Hussey Vivian and info is he is now pipe fitter/ army pensioner, so looks like Sydney and Thomas are/could be one and the same, married 20 years b. Kingsley Bucks 1867... so am now checking marriage military records etc. Thank you
                Bubblebelle x

Comment

It was just a thought as the spelling of the name is changed with 'our' Vyvyans to Vivian on census. Guess it depends who's writing it! :-)

Happy hunting.

Olga
                  Olga

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post

I have found Catherine and the 3 children on the 1901 census, Thomas is not with them. I assume he is doing something military. Catherine is born c.1867 Trowbridge Wilts.

1901 was the Boer War - I have a couple of military wives at home looking after the children whilst the husbands were in South Africa.

Both husbands are commemorated on a war memorial in their home town, which recorded all the men who took part in the campaign rather than just listing men who died. (My two brothers came back home safe and sound.)

Might be worth looking at Boer War stuff - I knew one brother was a soldier, but had no idea the second one had also joined up. So, finding the Boer War memorial was a real gem.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Janet, as Night owl found there are something like 18 pages of military records for Sidney (21 years service then WW1) which has taken ome ploughing through. Yes he was in South Africa twice within 1900-1902, also East Indies 1884-1894.

I really must not look at genealogy records in middle of night as when looking at Brabazon's baptism record his father is identified as Sidney it is the entry above that is Thomas.

I am having some problems finding his (Sidney) birth, although military records and census records concur. There is also a missing older brother Augustus, identified in military records but unfound on census and birth records.

I have found his father and other siblings. George Arthur Hussey Vivian b. Cornwalll circa 1825, married Caroline, and died 1881 Hendon district. His occupation is identified as a journalist and estate agent. But unable to find birth, baptism or marriage as yet.

There are Hussey Vivians in various parts of the country, but they do seem to originate from Cornwall. I may have to work forwards raather than backwards.

I have spoken to Mum, who says that she was told that Uncle Brab came from a good family, unfortunately he and Sidney do not appear to have anything to do with Brentford. Sidney and family lived in Heston and Brab worked as an engineer for BOAC.

Both Mum and I were fond of Aunt Rose and it was a sad fact that her three sons all had muscular dystrophy. Thank you all for your help and if you are interested I will try and update if I find more.

Once again thank you all for your help.... Mandy
                      Bubblebelle x

Comment

There are a few in Brentford on FreeBMD including;-
                        Births Jun 1905 Vivian Dorothy Louise Brentford 3a 76

Not sure if these belong to them as well;
                        Births Sep 1909
                        Vivian Frank Edward Brentford 3a 135
                        VIVIAN Frank Edward Brentford 3a 155
                        Births Jun 1911
                        Vivian Iris E Brentford 3a 180
                        Births Mar 1902
                        Vivian Ernest Reginald W Brentford 3a 90
                        Births Jun 1903
                        Vivian Frederick Charles Brentford 3a 103
                        Deaths Sep 1898 Vivian May 0 Brentford 3a 76

Here's a marriage for Dorothy;
                        Marriages Mar 1927
                        Boswell Arthur H Vivian Brentford 3a 161
                        Vivian Dorothy L Boswell Brentford 3a 161

Comment

Have you looked at these for an Augustus?
                          Births Sep 1864
                          Vivian Augustus Kensington 1a 145

Marriages Dec 1891
                          VIVIAN Augustus Hussey Mile End 1c 873
                          Not sure who he married -
                          David Olive Cecily Mile End 1c 873
                          or
                          Record Alice Mile End 1c 873

Marriages Dec 1898
                          VIVIAN Augustus Henry Weymouth 5a 705
                          Marriages Dec 1898 (>99%)
                          CRITCHELL Elizabeth Clark Weymouth 5a 705

Deaths Mar 1930 Vivian Augustus G H 65 Edmonton 3a 814

Also, I think that Olga is on to something with the spelling....originally it probably did show with a Vyv...

Brentford is not too far from Heston....
                          Last edited by naomiatt; 09-01-10, 00:10.

Comment

Naomitt Thank you for those... Dorothy is Sidneys daughter. I need to research tthe other Brentford entries as I think they may well belong to my Brabazons brothers (it gets so confusing when names follow down family lines. I have Brab and Roses children.

Re Augustus I have not discounted him, it is just that he does not appear on census returns with this family... so I need to search around a bit more.

Thank you. I have just sent email to Olga, although when googleing Hussey Vivian they do come up with that spelling in Cornwall.... it's just finding the right records. Will return with a clear head tomorrow.

I have looked for Sydney/Sidney under various Vivian spellings, with no luck as yet... the nearest I have found is George Henry b. Henley, but that does seem very vague.

Mandy
                            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Re; Sidney - there is this one for 1864 - Axminster (boundaries of Devon and Dorset)

Births Dec 1864
                              VIVIAN Sidney Axminster 5b 6

Wonder if some of them are transcribed with the surname of Hussey......how did you find Kingsly, Bucks as the birthplace of Sidney?

Comment

Hi Naomiatt,

Thank you for your continued help. The birth info comes from 2 sets of Military records and census returns.

I have seen the Axminster entry but he is also found on seperate sets of census returns therefore a different Sidney. Good idea re Hussey, Will try that.
                                Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                                X