The name Gaius as a first name.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The name Gaius as a first name.

I am branching sideways in my husband's tree and came across the name Gaius as a first name for both father & son. They are g & 2x g grandfathers of my OH's aunt by marriage so not blood relatives of his.

I've never come across this name before, does anyone know where it comes from please?

P.S. I'm not ignoring anyone's replies tonight, but I have to go offline for a while and may not be back online until tomorrow
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

It's Roman as in Gaius Julius Caesar.

Comment

Hi - it can also be spelt as Caius - there's one in the Twilight books which would impress my daughter! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaius

Comment

Perhaps the family enjoyed classical history

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
          Perhaps the family enjoyed classical history
          His siblings were Robert, Hannah, James, Jabez, William, Jeanette, Ruth, Caroline and David, and his parents Robert and Mary Ann. Father was an Ag Lab - I wonder how many Ag Labs in the mid 1800s would know about classical history ;) Maybe I should investigate further to see if there were classical scholars in the family past :D

Strangely 'my' Gaius Russell came from Chiddingley in Sussex, but there is another Gaius Russell born around the same time in Eynsham, Oxfordshire. Haven't found a connection between the two though.

Sorry Jill, I just re-read my post and it seems a bit sarcastic. It wasn't meant to be, just jokey
          My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Originally posted by LangleyValeSue View Post

Sorry Jill, I just re-read my post and it seems a bit sarcastic. It wasn't meant to be, just jokey
            Which is exactly how I read it!

I know someone named after her mother's favourite character in a book, they might just have taken a fancy to the name having come across it

Comment

It's a Latin name.

Julius Ceasar was called Gaius Julius Ceasar (Ceasar for 'emperor' when he became it, so his given names were only Gaius Julius). His adopted son was called Gaius Octavius (later Emperor Augustus) and it would be of Etruscan origin and a very common name in the Classical period.

I am not really that knowledgable. I got the last bit off Behindthename.com.

Comment

Working...
              X