Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The winner of WDWTYA 7th January 2010 is .........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The winner of WDWTYA 7th January 2010 is .........

Clematised

Well done i hope you break down some brick walls.
    Last edited by jennie; 07-01-10, 20:23.
    Jen

Thank you Jennie I will get the details out and add them now but I really would like to know if there is a connection to Elizabeth Stephenson to George Stephenson of Stephensons Rocket the steam engine inventor as I have been given the information from a contact who has been told this through her family line.

Elizabeth Harrison1804? Alston Nthumberland married Jonathan Harrison c 1805 Whitehaven St Bees and 1841 were living at Banks Lane George Street St Bees. children Ann Elizabeth 1836c Sarah 1831c
    Isabella 1840c Jane 1839c John Harrison1834c Jonathan is a Grocer and he is missing from the 1851 census and I can not find him anywhere.
    I have not found a baptism for Elizabeth Stephenson to go further back with her. My line is connected via Isabella and some of the family are in Liverpool in later census
    1861 Elizabeth is in Parton with Isabella, and sister Jane who is married to Edmund Herd.
    1871 they are back in Whitehaven St Bees still with Jane and Edmund Herd. Isabella marries Joseph Anderson 1871 12 Aug Parish of St James Whitehaven he is born Cockermouth parents Johnand Mary.
    Jonathan Harrison died June 25 1858 in Parton age 55
    Elizabeth died 28 Oct 1872 age 73 a widow

My brick Wall is Jonathan Harrison and Elizabeth Stephenson prior to the 1841 census and the story of George Stephenson of the Rocket.

Thank you all.

Edna
    Last edited by clematised; 08-01-10, 01:03. Reason: extra detail

Comment

Sarah and Ann Elizabeth go into confectionary and have a shop but Sarah is a visitor in 1851 with the Longmuir Family at Workington,1861 confectioners George St St Bees, cant find Sarah in 1871 but in 1881 Sarah is living in Alston Front Street at the Temperence Hotel with Uncle Samuel Whitfield
      1891 Sarah and Ann E are in Front Street Alston as Confectioners then missing in 1901.

I will give anything else tomorrow.

Edna

Comment

Is this them in 1851

HO 107 piece 2346, folio 549, page 38

12 Banks Lane St Bees
        Jonathan 46 grocer b Whitehaven
        Elizabeth 47 Alston
        John 17 Whitehaven
        Ann E 15 Whitehaven
        Jane 13 Whitehaven
        Isabella 9 Whitehaven

(Sorry doesn't help much with the pre 1841 detail)
        Jackie

Comment

Yes that is them in 1851 census

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
            Jonathan is a Grocer and he is missing from the 1851 census and I can not find him anywhere.
            I'm confused now - was it someone else who was missing in 1851?
            Jackie

Comment

Sorry made a mistake with rushing last night, it is the 1841 census that Johnathan is missing and unable to find him as yet.

Edna

Comment

There is a baptism on Family search for a Betty Stephenson for 1802 at Alston, could this be yours?
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

No I talked to the tree owner a few years ago and this is a different Tree from mine, I think that she was Betty and not Elizabeth. Some of the Census say she was born Alston Moor but I dont know if there is a difference between the place names or not as I did not find the Moor at the time of searching.

Edna

Comment

In case it helps:

George Stephenson (9 June 1781 – 12 August 1848) ... was born in Wylam, Northumberland... He was the second child of Robert and Mabel, neither of whom could read or write.

More biographical details here:

Comment

IGI (extracted):

GEORGE STEPHENSON
                      Male

Event(s):
                      Birth:
                      Christening: 22 JUL 1781 Ovingham, Northumberland, England

Parents:
                      Father: ROBERT STEPHENSON
                      Mother: MABLE

Comment

Other children of Robert and Mabel baptised in Ovingham:

1. ROBERT STEPHENSON - International Genealogical Index
                        Gender: Male Christening: 27 APR 1788 Ovingham, Northumberland, England
                        2. JAMES STEPHENSON - International Genealogical Index
                        Gender: Male Christening: 11 APR 1779 Ovingham, Northumberland, England
                        3. ELEANOR STEPHENSON - International Genealogical Index
                        Gender: Female Christening: 18 APR 1784 Ovingham, Northumberland, England

Comment

George died at Tapton House 1848 Chesterfield Darbyshire, and my Grandmother Mary Anderson, Isabella's daughter was born in Chesterfield Darbyshire 22nd April 1876 but this proves nothing, only that they may have had a family link to the area, but by the 1881 census Isabella and Mary were living in Liverpool with brother Jonathan and Isabella is a widow and Isabella's two sons were in a workhouse with Grandparents Anderson in Workington I think from memory as I can not find my paper copy.

Edna

Comment

Well I have just had a conversation with a chap who has his family tree and all connections to George Stephenson and gave him all the details and he says that there is no connection of Harrisons to the tree, He does not have his tree on Ancestry although I have checked out may trees on there with George Stephenson.

I shall see who else I can seek help with next

Edna

Comment

If it is ok I would like to find anything about Robert Couper as I have him in 1841 Scotland Census found Ancestry born 1821 age 20 living Glasgow Albion Street Area at 75 High Street, he is a Printer J and is living with wife Agnes 25 and daughter Jane age 1 and Agnes's brother James Canning age 20.
                              Agnes is in Liverpool in Rosco Street 1851 with mother and daughter, mother is Jane Conning/Canning and I have been unable to find Robert again although Agnes says she is married in 1851 and 1861 census in Liverpool Rosco Street, and Janes marriage in 1860 she says father is Robert Cowper Lithographic Printer,and her name spelled Cowper too, not a mention of a death for him.

I have the name as Couper,Cowper,Cooper from various places, Janes Mother Agnes later found marrying again to James Dickson Mariner and says she is a spinster and her name is still Agnes Cooper and tells porkies saying her father was Anthony Cooper Mariner but he was Anthony Conning/Canning Mariner. This says to me that Robert is still living but I have been unable to find him so any help with this would be great.
                              Jane went to Live in India with new husband and not found her back home since this but her son my Grandfather born India came back to Liverpool

Edna

Comment

This thread has gone very quiet, have you all given up on me????????????????????????????
                                I am off to bed...goodnight
                                Edna

Comment

Hi - have you found anything in the Edinburgh or London Gazette?

Comment

Naomi I am sorry I did not think of looking at either, I have done the usual searches of Scotlandspeople and Ancestry.

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                                      This thread has gone very quiet, have you all given up on me????????????????????????????
                                      Not given up on you ... just can't find anything that will be of help! :(
                                      Elaine

Comment

found this in 1881

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1881&indiv=1

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 3630; Folio: 147; Page: 35; GSU roll: 1341869.
                                        Julie
                                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                        X