Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find Shadrack please?

Hi all,

I'm looking for this chap as a tangent to my main tree, and am not coming up with a great deal. So I'd be very grateful if anyone can help find him for me.

Shadrack Hulme was born in sept qtr 1856 in Hanley, Stoke on Trent, Staffs (6b, 144, sp Shedrack). I can find him on the 1861 census (RG9; Piece: 1936; Folio: 21; Page: 35) with his family group and on the 1881 with his wife Lavinia Degg (RG11; Piece: 2725; Folio: 38; Page: 28). He married Lavinia on 20 March 1876 in Wolstanton, Stoke on Trent. I can also find an apparent matching death ref for him in Sept qtr 1902, aged 55 (Stoke on Trent 6b, 119). There appears no other trace of him on the 1871, 1891 or 1901 censuses. There is one other death of a Shadrack Hulme in the relevant period, in Sept qtr 1893, aged 67, (Stoke on Trent 6b, 141), which I believe to be Shadrack's father, also called Shadrack.

However wife Lavinia went on to live with, have children with and later marry a Thomas Green. In the 1891 census Lavinia is listed as wife to Thomas Green, and present with them are her four children with Shadrack, and two children with Thomas. They go on to marry in Mar qtr 1893 in Stoke on Trent (6b, 214). I can only assume that this was bigamously after they presumably thought the coast was clear. The family are also present on the 1911 census (via searching, have not seen transcript or images) and there appears to be a relevant death for a Lavinia in Mar qtr 1912 (SoT 6b, 213).

So can anyone help me find Shadrack in 1871, 1891 or 1901? Or any other traces of him?

Many thanks,
    Kate x

I can't find him either.

I have tried all ways to spell both his names, but sorry no luck.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

nothing here either sorry what was his occupation ?

Comment

He's a crate maker on the 1881.

I've tried all sorts of wildcard searches for mistranscriptions but no joy. Wonder whether he went into the army or jail?

Comment

Is this him on 1871 transcribed as Shadrick Holmer with mother Harriet and siblings

RG10 piece 2865, folio 70, page 21

Jackie

Comment

Actually Harriet was his grandmother - his father was the head of household
            Jackie

Comment

Yes that's him thank you so much! What search criteria did you use, I couldn't find that one however I tried unless I used the exact transcription?

Comment

Is this the same man in 1891 or is there another Shadrack?

Transcribed as Shadrach Hulmes aged 43 (I think it says 45) married to Harriet. Born Stoke and a potter's colour mixer

RG12 piece 2176, folio 69, page 7
                Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Kate P View Post
                  Yes that's him thank you so much! What search criteria did you use, I couldn't find that one however I tried unless I used the exact transcription?
                  I can't remember which one came up trumps :o - I've been playing with the new Ancestry wild cards. I think it was Sha* born Hanley
                  Jackie

Comment

Forget the 1891 I found - there is another Shadrach born in Stoke with wife Harriet in 1881
                    Jackie

Comment

The 1902 Stoke death aged 55 would make him born about 1847. That ties in with the other Shadrack (Shadrach) who was 43 on the 1891 census. Your Shadrack would have been about 46 in 1902

I think your Shadrack is missing completely after 1881 (or c1883 when Lucy was born)
                      Jackie

Comment

My Shadrack has been transcribed as Shadrach as well , the names Shadrach and Meshach i believe have some biblical background if you google it .

Peter

Comment

And I think that unfortunately, my 1902 death ref is for that Shadrach too - it would give a dob of 1848 which ties in with the other Shadrach much better, and the spelling is the same too - ch not ck.

Thank for all your efforts so far though. I'll keep searching though I think he's an elusive chap...

Comment

Ooh, just had an idea, what do we think of Cedric as a possible mis hearing of Shadrack - got to be worth a search!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Stenning View Post
                              My Shadrack has been transcribed as Shadrach as well , the names Shadrach and Meshach i believe have some biblical background if you google it .
                              The third of this trio is Abednigo.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

YES thats the other one , they went into fire and came out unharmed proving that God was mightier than the king .

It also proves that fathers very often named thier sons after themselves in the late 1800's and i presume that they were very religeous .

Peter

Comment

Working...
                                X