Can anyone guess at the date of this photo please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone guess at the date of this photo please

Oh dear, What am I doing wrong? Not having any luck trying to post this photo from Photobucket

Lesley Oh.....looks like I have done it after all!!!

Forgot to say that the back of the photo says that she is 76 years of age! Don't know if that is of any help to anyone.

Lesley

Comment

Hi Lesley,

I would have said early 1800's or a tad earlier. Who is she? I was looking at some photos on a family tree (not mine) today and she looks incredibly like one of the pictures on there (her name was Ellen FORSTER on the tree I was looking at)!!!!!!!!

Happy New Year, Sue
      Last edited by Sue1; 06-01-10, 23:10.

Comment

Morning Sue and a Happy New Year to you too!

I don't know who the lady is for certain that is why I am trying to date the photo! I was hoping that if I could get the right date that it would be my 2xg.Grandmother! My cousin who lives in Canada sent it to me and the only clue really was the inscription on the back which said the age of the lady! It also said.' To Jim from Bob...mothers portrait age 76' Your answer is not the one I wanted to hear! LOL Any more guesses anyone?

Lesley

Comment

Hi Lesley
          Have a look at this photo. It's the hat that looks the same. I am guessing that my photo was taken c1876 when she was about 63 & he was 61.
          Moggie

Comment

Lesley-I don't think the clothes in the photo are her own,I reckon just borrowed for the occasion .

Comment

Just a 'gut'reaction--1820-1840,

Comment

Originally posted by failsworthexile View Post
                Lesley-I don't think the clothes in the photo are her own,I reckon just borrowed for the occasion .
                LOL Yes must admit that either she has lost weight since she bought them or as you say, they are not her own! If it is the lady I was hoping, she was my2x g.Grandmother b.1818c which would make the year the photo was taken about 1894. Have my doubts though as the way she is dressed it does look like an earlier photo.

Moggie, The style of dress does look the same, especially the hat! Maybe there is a possibility then that it could be her in 1894c.

Any more suggestion and opinions are welcome!

Lesley
                Last edited by Punchs mum; 08-01-10, 09:36. Reason: not enough 'greats' for grandmother

Comment

Strange and awkward to date properly but one thing I can say with certainty is that this is not a photograph taken between 1820 to 1840 as photography did not take off until the late 1840's early 1850's in the form of Daguerreotype images which had been invented by Louis-Jacques-Mande Daguerre in 1839. The reason behind me saying that this is a strange and awkward image to put a firm date line to is that every thing that could date it is covered. Her hair for instance is parted in the centre but her ears are covered by the sides of the bonnet that is set on the crown of her head thus hiding the fact of an evidence of a chignon or not or if her ears are covered or exposed. By the way it is a bonnet and not a hat as bonnets are tied under the chin and have ribboning were as a hat should be tied under the chignon. The top that she is wearing is also slightly strange as it is niether a bodice nor is it a blouse, my own feelings are is that it was a form of jacket placed over her bodice, what ever it is it is masking anything that can date it properly. The clothing does look it should be worn by a much larger person but I would suggest that they are her own and that by the look of her she had lost a lot of weight and had not purchased something that would fit her correctly, remember if this is an outer jacket then it would be a tad bigger than her other clothing to accomodate any kick ups or large sleeving. As for a date to this image I would suggest a period of betwen 1875 and 1895, a twenty year gap I know and a large date period but as I said before there is not a lot to give a firm date on.

don.

Comment

I'd agree with the above. 1820 to 1840 is quite impossible. Firstly because there were barely fotographs (at least not commercially, so she would have to have been farely rich to have one taken, 1820-30 being totally out of the question) and secondly because her clothing which is still worth looking at, i.e. the bonnet, is not one from 1820. It's rather a smaller one from later in the century. It could be that she had had it for a while, as that other picture shows. So I wonder... It is probably indeed a pcture from the 80s or so. I would wait and see when the woman was born and then date it, as it has her age on the back.

Comment

Don.

Many thanks for your expert opinion! So it seems then that the photo could be of my 2x G.Grandmother who would have been born 1818/20cand was 76 when it was taken which would make the photo as being taken in the late 1800's. She certainly looks very frail but as yet, I do not know for certain her date of death. Looking at the photo I would think not long after it was taken!! Thank you again for your very knowledgeable information.

Kiki1982.

Good to get another opinion on the photo and am pleased that you agree with Don. I think I can safely assume that the photo is that of my 2xg.Grandmother. Will let my cousin in Canada know as she was the one that sent it to me.

Thanks to all for you replies.

Lesley

Comment

No problem. It's great to have some help. ;)

Comment

As Kiki has said no problem and only too glad to have helped.

don

Comment

Working...
                          X