Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Henry Wainwright, Whitchapel murderer - what happened to his family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Wainwright, Whitchapel murderer - what happened to his family?

I've been researching a tree for a friend, her granny always said they were related to this murderer who hanged in 1875, he killed and dismembered a woman.

I've successfully connected her Minshull family to Wainwright's wife Elizabeth Fanny Minshull and am reading up on the case in The Times.

Now I would like to find out what happened to the wife and children and would appreciate some help. They are here in 1871 Rg10 /561 folio 52 p9 (Brushmaker emp 103 men women & boys, living at 40 Tredegar Square Mile End Old Town)

Henry Wainwright (b c1839 Whitechapel, d 21 Dec 1875 Newgate Gaol) married Elizabeth Fanny Minshull b1840 Birmingham (married 07 Aug 1862 @ St Dunstan Stepney)
    Henry Minshull Wainwright b31 Oct 1863 Whitechapel
    Elizabeth Amy/Amy Elizabeth Wainwright b1865 Mile End, Stepney
    Dora Rose B Wainwright b1867 Mile End, Stepney
    Sydney Rickards Wainwright b29 Mar 1869 Mile end, Stepney

Elizabeth Fanny’s parents were John Bellamy Minshull & Elizabeth

What about a change of name to Worthington?
    1891 census - RG12; Piece: 68; Folio 26; Page 4
    Elaine

Comment

ooooh Elaine thankyou...I've spent 2 solid days on this without luck and I think you've cracked it in seconds.

Comment

I can't see a possible Wainwright/Worthington marriage at the moment - so it may just have been a change of name.
        Elaine

Comment

I would imagine it would be a purely a change of name, shame & notoriety would have been too much to live with, there was as much sensation attached to the case as to the Ripper murders later on.

Comment

You may have already seen it Jill, but if not there is a private tree on Ancestry which may be relevant.
            Elaine

Comment

No, I hadn't spotted that, Elaine I think that's worth following up, thanks again.

Comment

Hi Jill - have you seen this article which mentions a brother called Thomas - http://virtualvictorian.blogspot.com...ar-square.html

Comment

Thanks Naomi - I've been reading through The Times all day, Thomas was convicted as an accessory, I've found him still in prison in Dorset in 1881.

It seems Henry's widow died in 1924 under the name of Worthington and in 1901 was living with all of her children who were all still unmarried except Dora who had married an Algernon Bruen.

Comment

Hi - it's an interesting story isn't it....wonder if it was Thomas and not Henry.....

Comment

Hi Jill
                      I think Dora Rose B Worthiongton married Herbert Algernon J Breun - Dec qtr of 1894 - Marylebone 1a 1021.
                      They are together in 1911 in Paddington - she is 42
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Oops - late as ever

Comment

Amy, Henry, Lilian and Sydney are all still with her in 1911 in Hampstead.

Comment

Likely death for Henry M Worthington - 1945 aged 83 in Hampstead London 1a 385

and for Amy - Amy E Worthington - 1941 aged 75 Hampstead London 1a 918

and for Sydney - Sydney Worthington - 1924 aged 55 - Hampstead London 1a 636

and for Lilian - Lilian F Worthington - 1953 aged 82 - Hampstead London 5c 644

and for Dora R B Breun - 1942 - aged 74 - Hampstead London 1a 781
                            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 06-01-10, 22:17.

Comment

Thankyou Chrissie, I think I might be looking to see if they left wills when I next go to London, those death dates will be very useful.

I contacted the lady with the tree on Ancestry, she is in Australia & was doing the research for someone writing a play about the murder. She says Henry's widow Elizabeth's brothers who had been in partnership with Henry started up a brushmaking business in Melbourne.

Comment

You're welcome Jill They are only a guess of course, I did it very quickly before I had to go off line.
                                Just realised that I didn't open the pages (as you have to now) to check which quarters they were in. For those years it only gives the year of death.

It seems as though we are both on a similar tack at the moment. On my thread I'm trying to tie up some loose ends to the research I helped with on a murder :D:D

Comment

Working...
                                X