Transported to Hobart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transported to Hobart

Hi I am trying to find out what I can about Samuel Souter he lived In Cockfeild Suffolk and was convicted at the Suffolk Quarter sessions in 1834 for transprotation to Hobart for 7 years. He sailed form Portsmouth in the Augusta Jessie and arrived in Hobart on 29 Setp: 1835. That is all I know . can any one help in any way. as I would like to know if he returned to the uk or stayed in Hobart. Also I can't find out what he was sent here for ???
    Thank you very much
    Sheila
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Have you used the Tasmanian Archives Pioneers Family Database ?

It shows a marriage for a Samuel Souter to Agnes McCloud at Great Swanport in 1845. There's also a departure record for Samuel Louter to Melbourne in 1850. On the NLA newspapers you can find a notice stating that Samuel Souter is able to apply for his certificate of Freedom. There are some other references on the Tasmanian Archives website which you could investigate. Don't know if Suffolk is putting its records on-line like The Old Bailey.

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Thank you Diane, I did fine him on Ancestry on the Transportation register, but i could not see as I no longer have an account.Your find is a great help
      Sheila

Comment

Hi - I'm not sure if this was their daughter, but an Agnes Souter was born and died in 1847 as per http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/me...pe=P&id=350677

Comment

I looked this up for you.

con-18-1-3 page 227

And also this one

con 31-1-40 page 103

If you click on the zoom button you should be able to read it.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I can't find anything on his wife Agnes McCloud......I am guessing that since she was about 41 when they married she may possibly have been a widow.

There is no convict listed as Agnes McCloud......nor any other person by that name.

Comment

Hi - not sure if this is Agnes (different spelling) - but it might be worth contacting the person listed by her name - it mentions that she married four times when you google her name and Tasmania as per this site;
              MacMillan Family History Society, Victoria, New South Wales, Tasmania, Queensland, N.T., Northern Territory, South Australia, Western Australia, Australia.
              Last edited by naomiatt; 06-01-10, 22:06.

Comment

He was convicted of larceny on 4th March 1834 and sentenced to 7 years. There are no further details in the criminal registers on Ancestry.

Comment

From The Ipswich Journal, 22nd February 1834, in the “Commitments to Bury Gaol” item:

Samuel Souter and George Smith, by the Rev. N. Colville, D.D. charged with stealing, at Cockfield, 3 hens, 2 pullets, a spade, a wooden bottle, a mattock, and a rabbit, the property of divers persons.

scuda
                  Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Sheila, Are you interested in any other Souters from Cockfield? I came upon a long article about the death of William Souter of Cockfield in October 1893. If it's any good to you PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you.

scuda
                    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Good Morning to you all. I am so Sorry that I have not answered and thanked you for your posts. you in the uk have worries with the snow. we have worries with the rain here 18.5 mils over night , so we are very wet. I'll get to answer them all later. A quick read and they do look promising
                      Thank you all again
                      Sheila

Comment

scudo I have pm'd you Thank you

Comment

Sheila, I've just emailed the article to you.

scuda

Comment

Thank you scuda, It is good reading, to think that there is a Murderer and at least now 2 Suicides in the family tree, and on my mothers side a man who died in a Lunatic Asylum. I stand no chance LOL
                            Sheila

Comment

Fleshie This is the thread I was talking about
                              Sheila

Comment

Working...
                              X