Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about 1911 census

Hi All.

Can someone help me with this question please?

Whilst i have been looking ont he 1911 census (findmypast) when it gives you the one linners on the rsults i have noticed the few searches i have done have been 1year out with the birth year!
    I havent viewed any documents as dont have credits, but has anyone else noticed this same thing?

Thank you for reading.

Deb

Not sure what you mean, but rellies' ages can be a year out, depending on where their birthday falls.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Nell.

Say my relative was born June 1900, the 1911 census shows year of birth as 1901...this is just an example but seemed odd that all of the ones i have looked at have been a year out!
      Thanks anyway. When i can afford to but subscription i can look into them in more details.
      deb

Comment

The census doesn't give year of birth it gives an age. Not sure if it asks how old the person is when the census is taken, or how old they would be that year.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

you will notice the same with all the censuses as they are taken in the first half of the year so I calculate the age from 1910 but the computer takes the age away from 1911
          Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
          http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

I think it usually asks for your age at last birthday.

If you were born June 1900, then you wouldn't have reached your 11th birthday in the March of 1911. Your "age at last birthday" would be 10. The estimated birth year would be 1911-10 = 1901.

If you were born Jan-Mar, then your birth year should be correct... no guarantees!

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              I think it usually asks for your age at last birthday.
              Yes, just checked an image, and the 1911 census asks for age last birthday.

Comment

Working...
              X