No announcement yet.

Can someone double-check this please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone double-check this please...

Hi,

I am still trying to think out of the box with regard to my brickwall, and in doing so I'm just going over the information I have to make sure I've not made any assumptions etc. With regard to Emily Selwyn nee Rawlins, I'd really appreciate someone just checking this for me....

Primary evidence I have:

Birth certificates for:
    Alfred Cresswell Selwyn, b 1861 Hawley Blackwater
    Isabella Mary Selwyn, b 1862 Hoxton Middlesex
    George Cresswell Selwyn, b 1872 Aldershot, Surrey. Died same year.

all of these certificates give the mother as "Emily Selwyn formerly Rawlins" (except Isabella's spells it RawlinGs)

Other evidence I have:

1871 census: RG10; 817; 33; 2 Reg district was Farnham, Enum district was 9, Parish was Aldershot, sub-district was Frimley, showing address as The Lord Clyde Beer House, Ash Road, Aldershot. It shows head of house Henry Selwyn, age 41, Emily Selwyn Wife, age 37 birth year 1834 in Sussex then the two children.

1881 census: RG11; 781; 19; 32 Reg district was Farnham, Parish was Aldershot (Hants), sub-district was Frimley, address shown as Alexandra Road, Aldershot, Hants. (I believe it was Sandpit Cottage Alexandra Road). It shows Emily as Head, as a widow, aged 45, born Chichester Sussex. (The original image shows some mistakes, as the enumerator had her surname as SelwynE and the daughter's name as Arabella instead of Isabella.)

I have her death index entry, certificate is on order. She died in Q4 1887 in Blandford, Dorset, aged 51. This is where her daughter Isabella was living by this time but I don't know if she had moved there or was visiting at the time of death.

I'm not expecting anyone to solve the associated brickwall with this, and have taken up enough detective time in previous threads, so I've left out details of the other complications within the family. I just want to be sure that my assumptions for Emily herself are correct (or have a good chance of being correct!).... So, given the above evidence do you think this Emily is the same Emily who has Cornelius and Elizabeth for parents?

Thanks in advance,
    Rachel
    Last edited by Rachandgarry; 05-01-10, 14:05. Reason: someone moved the keys around on my keyboard and caused some spelling errors, ahem hehe

Fingers crossed this is a link to Rachel's previous thread if anyone wants a re-cap.
    Moggie

Comment

Thanks for the link Moggie...if anyone is kind enough to look at this for me and does look up the old thread, some of the info in there may have been wrong so don't take it as guaranteed! That thread wasn't really about Emily, I was trying to look at the henry/alfred/cresswell/selwyn thing....now I've decided that is pointless so I'm going at it through this route!

Comment

Hi Rachel
        What was William Harding's father David's occupation on the marriage cert?
        Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie,

David Harding was a Mercantile Clerk according to the marriage certificate.

Thanks,
          Rachel

Comment

Deb a lot of the census are a a year out it is the parent who fills it in wrong canveycat

Comment

Hi Rachel
              I am possibly going over "old ground" with info that has been found on previous threads but when you look at the 1871 census image for William Harding the word lodger has been written over what looks like brother in law & he said he was a widower. The couple who he was living with was William & Elizabeth Ayling. An Elizabeth Harding married a William Ayling in 1857 at Southampton. In 1861 Elizabeth Ayling is living in the same house as a Betsy Harding.
              David who appears to be a foreman in a cow store as opposed to a mercantile clerk!! was living at Chapel/Chapel Lodge 1841,1851,1861 & 1871. In 1841 his wife is Mary Ann & he has a William and an Elizabeth age 8 & 6. In 1851 William age 18 is a shoe maker.
              Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie

Actually, that isn't old ground at all; I've not considered any of that information...it actually took me 15 minutes to work through what you were saying. I now understand it and it all sounds spot on, thank you for working it out! I would never have even thought down that line...

So where the heck does Emily fit in to this? If he says he's a widow, either that Emily died and that Emily was never my Emily, or he's lying for some reason (that sounds harsh but you know what I mean). Either way, it doesn't look like Emily/William's marriage dissolved because he died does it? (that was one of the options I was considering)

I'm lost now... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

Rachel

Comment

Hi Rachel
                  Was there an actual address on the 1861 birth cert, I know some of them just give the place name & if so have you tried to find out who was living there in 1861 (census)
                  Moggie

Comment

I *wish* with all my heart there was.... :-( It literally says in column 1: "Second January 1861 Hawley" then in column 7 (signature description and residence of informant) it says: "Emily Selwyn Mother Hawley". That's all that it has on there. The certificate itself is quite strange because it says the Registration District is Farnborough, Sub-district is Farnborough, in the 'Counties of Southampton & Surrey'.... not sure why it was listed as that?

Regards
                    Rachel

Comment

Hi Rachel
                      It's disappointing when you get certs that don't give the address. I've got some early marriage certs which just say Bethnal Green or Mile End.
                      I've spent ages tracking down the address in the 1861 where the second child was born. 4 Haberdashers Place was occupied by 2 families.
                      A William Dean age 58 Harness Maker born London & a B Pope age 30 Com Clerk born London. I guess these names don't mean anything to you.
                      Moggie

Comment

Working...
                      X