Holtaway - Southend??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holtaway - Southend??

If there's anyone in the Southend area who maybe able to find some information on Leonard T E Holtaway for me?
    Born 24 November 1919 in West Ham, died June quarter 1995 registered in Southend. Not sure what area that covers. However, not long after his death his cousin Paula, recieved a phone call from a neighbour (I don't think Leonard had a spouse or children) saying that the family bible had been found and did she want it? Problem was that the phone call was made just as Paula was off out of the door. The neighbours phone number and name weren't taken and they didn't phone back. I was wondering if anyone could find Leonard in the 1994/5 phone directory so I can get an address to see if I can locate said neighbour or if there's anyone in the Southend area who knows of any Holtaways - there aren't many of them, so any that we find are related in some way.
    Any help, ideas, clues etc. gratefully received as always!

Lisa

I had a look on Ancestry's telephone directory database without any luck. I know it goes up only to 1984, but it had seemed worth a try.

Have you tried trade directories? Did he have a business which might have been recorded?

After that there's things like GR, Rootsweb, Curious Fox...

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Lisa
      Just looked in the current Southend Phone book but there are no Holtaways listed. Why don't you get a copy of his death cert & that would give you his address & then you could write a letter to the present occupant explaining about the bible.
      Moggie

Comment

I've asked a few more questions and it sounds like its not exactly Southend, but Canvey Island! I think getting the death cert is the best idea if no one else comes up with anything though - thanks!

Comment

also, anyone have any DRANE's or WHITEBREAD HOLTAWAY's in their tree? London area.
          Edward Whitebread Holtaway b.1859 d.1927 married Jemima Drane
          Their children - Amy, Nora Bessie, Leonard and Harold (aka Bill)
          Jemima's brother, Charles W Drane. Emigrated to Canada after his wife died approx 1903 with his eldest daughter Emily and youngest son Fred. All other children were left behind - Bertha, Ada, Maude, Daisy and Lillian. I know that Daisy and Lillian were in the North Surrey Industrial School in 1911 as they appear on the census. Not sure what happened to the others.
          I know the family isn't very big but SOMEONE has to be related to these people!!!
          Help!
          Nora Bessie was my other half's grandmother. She died in 1939 during child birth. Leonard had a son also called Leonard, who died in the southend area in 1995 - he had no children. What happened to Amy Holtaway and all the other Drane children? We know what happened to those who went to Canada!

Comment

I have located the person who has the Holtaway family bible!! Success!
            And it gives the date of birth for Edward Whitebread Holtaway (see previous Whitebread/Whitbread/Holtaway thread) which matches the date of birth on the certificate I have for Edward Bishop Whitbread.....I am one happy bunny!
            Thanks to everyone for advice!!!

Comment

Thaks for updating us - we LOVE a happy ending!

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

im so happy you've done well!!

Comment

Oh, Wow! What great news!

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

just to add - we went along yesterday to the distant relatives home, where he gave us the family bible, a photograph album with lots of very old pictures, plus 2 boxes of motorcycle grass track memoribilia and lots more papers and things! We have 3 huge boxes of stuff.

In the bible though, there were pages for births, marriage and deaths and at the top of these someone had cut out the first two lines on each one. Why do you think this would be done?

Comment

sounds like a member disgraced the family.

Comment

Or it might have been second-hand, and the previous owner's info was removed.

But I think the "disgraced the family" explanation is the most likely. ... someone whose events were all previous to any other family records in that copy... there's a project for you ;)

Christine

Comment

Working...
                        X