Jewish way of life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewish way of life

Does anyone have any insight into the Jewish way of life?
    From a book OH has, he has already gleaned that Jews often had several names which they used on different occasions. It would seem they did this on various censuses !
    In say 1800's, Is it possible they may have married at about the age of 13 ?
    ~Val~

Val you should have a look at my Guttentags for name changing UGH and the boys married twice using different names they changed their names when it suited good luck

Comment

Until 1926, the legal minimum age for marriage was 12 for a female, 14 for a male. It was very rare for anyone as young as this to marry in the 1800s, but not impossible.

However, Orthodox Jews have always paid more attention to their religious laws and obligations and would consider a Jewish religious marriage more important than a civil marriage. I have no idea what the legal minimum age would be for a Hebrew marriage.

And yes, Jewish research is always hampered by the fact that they had several names and changed them at the drop of a hat. The concept of a legal surname does not apply to their thinking (along with many other continental and eastern countries - Europeans are practically unique in having one surname and sticking to it for ever!)

OC

Comment

Thanks Val & OC
        It wasn't the surname that changed so much as the forenames, apparently they had a given name at birth, another they used for business and another for social occasions.

We did wonder if they married the children young to link up families for business reasons. OH has found a couple of marriages he thought were possible except they were about 13
        ~Val~

Comment

mine changed their first names too Val especially after they fiddled some money LOL

Comment

If you have a look at Wallaby's "Hospital Records" threads on Adoptions/Reunions, you'll discover the links to lots of articles on this topic.

There is a tradition to have both a religious (Hebrew) name and a secular one. The secular one might be a translation of the Hebrew name - and might turn up in any language version. Tsivi (I think) means deer, so gets re-rendered as Cerf, Hirsch... and variations of those. And then there's the fact that the Hebrew name is only a transliteration, anyway, so Tsivi might turn up as Tsevi, or Tsvi, or, I guess, Zwi, or Zivi, or... If it's gone via Russia, Hirsch might have turned into Girsch. ...

You might see if you can spot Naomiatt on the site. She's a goldmine of relevant info!

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The other problem is that English was not always their first language and ages tend to get muddled up. You need a birth cert to be absolutely sure.

I should have said - the religious aspect of the marriage was more important than the secular marriage and many Jewish people did not bother with a secular marriage so you will not find any record of it.

EDIT - Wallaby's thread is a goldmine of information...but there are over 9,000 posts, so you may want a flask and a few sandwiches before you settle down to read it!!!

OC

Comment

Val.....are you getting the marriage age from a birth or baptism date??

The few Jews I have were baptised at about 12.

Comment

Good point Libby, OH did take the info from baptism record
                  ~Val~

Comment

Libby can I ask where you found the Baptisms ??? thanks

Comment

If they were baptised, they presumably converted to Christianity, so you'd need to look at the IGI or parish records as usual.

Comment

thanks Mary

Comment

Husband's Jewish gt x 3 grandfather was called Solomon Hart on his marriage cert and one of his children's birth certs; Zalig Hart on his son's marriage cert and Solomon Zalig Hart on his death cert.

I did read somewhere - can't find the ref now - that Jews had special names they used in the Synagogue, and that they considered it unlucky to name anyone after someone who was still alive.
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi - I'm back from hols...so can give you a further idea for the names etc if you liike...

Comment

Working...
                            X