Hampshire info required!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hampshire info required!

I have an ancestor that gives different places of birth in the census - LIPHOOK, Hants & HIDLEY (Could this be Headley?), Hants...Are these places close together and are they anywhere near Knigsley, Hants? Would it be likely to be born in Kingsley and give Liphook or Hidley(Headley) as a place of birth?

If you look on http://maps.google.co.uk/, or one of teh other mapping sites, you can see just how close they all are.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

If you have Headley connections, then this link could be useful:

but I couldn't see anyone called EMO - though there are a number of variants on EAMES.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Deb,
        You'll find GENUKI a useful website

If you go to Contents & Search, then the specific county you're interested in, it will give you an alphabetical list of places. Once you click on a specific place, there is an option to click on "nearby places", this is very useful, as it gives very small villages & tells you how far they are from the place you're looking at.

It sounds complicated, but if you try the site I'm sure you'll work it out.
        Good Luck
        ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Thanks for your replies!! I forgot all about GENUKI!! I haven't done any proper research for about 2 years and need to refresh my mind with all those useful sites!!

Christine - It's not the Emo's I'm looking for, I have them pretty much sewn up! It's my Meagers - My 4xggf William Meager wed a Diana, I say wed but I can't find the marriage so I have no idea of her maiden name. Anyway, I know this sounds like I may be slightly mad but I thought that Diana is quite an unsual name and I will see what Diana's were born in that area with a dob close to hers!!! If I found any likely candidates I was going to reseaarch themto see if I can find a link to my Meagers (I have to add, I wouldn't attemp this if her name was Mary, Ann, Elizabeth or Frances!!!). Anyway, I have found a likely candidate DIANA BAKER 1787 Headley (born Kingsley) The name BAKER jumped out at me for some reason and I'm sure I've come across these before, of cours, it could just be because it's quite a common name!!!

I know this is a long shot but I am desperate to know who she was!!!!

Comment

Attempt no. 2 to post...

I had a quick look on the Headley site for MEAGER, but fared no better, I'm afraid.

When looking for "Diana", you might want to try "Dinah": I have at least one of those in my maternal tree.

Christine

Comment

I have the Hackman series of Hampshire Bishop's Transcripts. I have looked at the Marriages for Headley, but nothing in those names. Nothing for Kingsley or Liphook either.

The records are not indexed, so it is a case of trawling through every page to find anyone in particular, so it makes it difficult to find people unless you know where they got married.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
              X