same person?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• same person?

does anyone think these two john amblers could be the same?

1) 1841- ho107 piece 2320, folio 918, page 22- leeds

lawrance ambler, wife dorothy and kids, elizabeth and john.

2) 1851- ho107, piece 2320, folio 1171, page 6- The Moral And Industrial Training School For The Pauper Children Of The Township Of Leeds

john w ambler, 11, b.1840, leeds. pauper, imate scholar.

if not, im really struggling to find him!

The 1841 piece number is 1347 book 9; folio 8 p 8... unless there are identical families in the area?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The problem is that there was more than one John Ambler born in the area at about the same time...
      Looking on YorksBMD:
      AMBLER John Yeadon Leeds none showing for 1838?
      AMBLER John W Leeds North Leeds 1839q3
      AMBLER John Holbeck Leeds 1839q3
      AMBLER John Kirkstall Leeds 1840q1

I'll look and see how they each show up in the GRO index... see the italicised notes.

You might have to order birth certs to check on father's name? At least there seems to be only one with the extra initial.

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 04-01-10, 14:46.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've had a look at Ancestry's GRO index for 1838 and there don't seem to be any instances of John AMBLER, b in the Leeds district!

That could well be an example of one that got away at the transcription stage!

Christine

Comment

there is only one john ambler on the igi with these parents, and he was christened in 1837! so i assume he died, and this one born in 1840, was named after him. but then he dissapears. his sister ended up in the care of a thomas and betty laycock in 1851, and she was still with them in 1858 when she married my ancestor peter ford in leeds. they were the witnesses.

Comment

Tricky one!

There are 16 Leeds deaths for John AMBLER 1837-51, but they haven't transcribed ages for that set, yet.

Christine

Comment

hi all, im still not having great luck with this kid, can i get some help? i posted on rootschat asking for burial info in leeds, in the hopes that i could find john. well the people there have managed to find the john in the school in leeds as well, and they uncovered a marriage on ancestry, between a john william ambler and elizabeth anne shirley on 18th jul 1869 in pancras. john's father is listed as lawrence ambler, carpenter. elizabeth's father is listed as deceased.

i think this is my john, i think he may be in oxford in 1861, as an independant b.leeds, york. there is also a john with wife elizabeth in 1871 plumstead in kent, but his occupation is engine fitter. he is b.1836, leeds york.

is anyone able to help solve this riddle?

Comment

Working...
              X