Kent parish records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kent parish records

As OH's paternal grandmothers family came from Kent, it is highly likely that I will eventually go down there to check out some parish records. However looking at the web pages for Kent Record Office I am very confused as to which office actually holds the Parish records. His family were mostly around Sevenoaks district, mainly in Westerham, but also in Hever and Edenbridge. Does anyone know which office is the best one for the records? ( I'm hoping it's not Rochester as that one would be a pain to get to!)

Thanks,

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Hi

I cannot help with the Record Office, but have you seen the website www.theweald.org ?

It has lots of parish records for Sevenoaks and other areas of Kent and Sussex, especially those of The Weald.

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi, thank you and yes, I have seen that website, it has given me lots of info, but unfortunately there are still some gaps and confusions to work out - two cousins, same name born same time which one married who etc. As I am in Berkshire, not too far from Kent, I hoped that going for a day to the record office would be cheaper than buying lots of certificates.

Linda
      Linda

Comment

According to the Kentish Archives website http://www.kentarchives.org.uk/ both Hever and Westerham parish registers are at the Centre for Kentish Studies, which is in Maidstone.

~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell, I looked on that site but couldn't work it out! Maidstone is probably easier to get to for me. I think it's time for bed now, seeing as I'm not making sense of anything.

Linda
          Linda

Comment

Suffolk has 3 ROs & whilst original records are housed at the relevant RO, all three carry microform copies of PRs for the whole county. Can't say this is the sames for Kent though.
            Glen

Comment

have you looked at the cityark website as they have lots oforiginal parish records scanned on there. Not sure if it goes out as far as edenbridge as I think it centres mainly on the medway towns and dartford area.

Comment

Hi Linda

I live a few miles up the road from Westerham so I phoned Bromley libraries local studies dept this morning. Unfortunately they don't have copies of Westerham PRs there. I think Maidstone RO would be the one you needed.

Have you ever been to Westerham? It's a lovely place, mostly very pretty with a village green which has statues of two of it's famous inhabitants, Winston Churchill and General Wolf. William Pitt also had a home there which is now an Indian restaurant and, until recently, was called Pitt's Cottage.

If you would like some photos of any of Westerham, let me know what you would like, and I will try and take some. I really like going there as there is a smashing restaurant for afternoon cream teas!

Comment

Hi and thanks for all the help. Pat, I haven't been to Westerham yet, but it is on my to do list. Would be very interested to go to Chartwell as Oh's GG Grandfather was the head gamekeeper there - pre Churchill times. They lived in cottages at Puddledock - I love that name! There seemed to be a lot of the family there - the name was Barnett, I don't know if there are still any around. Photos of the place in general would be great, but don't go out of your way. If I get an idea of when I'm going, I'll ask you for the name of the cream tea place - sounds yummy.

Linda
                  Linda

Comment

Hi again Linda

Do you have an address in Westerham for your relatives? The house (es) might still be there as it's quite quaint in parts. I will take some general photos for you over the next few weeks (weather permitting - it's very icy here at present and to get to Westerham involves a very steep and fairly narrow hill that doesn't always get gritted!).

The restaurant in on the village green and is called Food For Thought. The cup of tea is the best I have had in any cafe - and I'm very fussy about my tea. The home made cakes are to die for too.

Comment

Evening Pat,

They lived in possibly tied cottages for Chartwell called Puddledock cottages, a group of 5 cottages. In the 1881 census 3 of these cottages were occupied by Barnetts, they seemed to swap them around between the families. One of the other families in the cottages in 1881 was a butler - presumably for Chartwell. Absolutely no rush for any photos, don't take any chances in this weather.

Many thanks

Linda
                      Linda

Comment

Have just done a Google search for Puddledock Cottages and found this site with lots of old photos of Westerham. It's not changed too much.

I also found transcriptions of 1881 and 1891 census for Puddledock and found your ancestors. Well worth a visit to that site if you have interests in that area.

There are also some PR transcriptions for the Parish Church. Very interesting.
                        Last edited by Elderflower; 05-01-10, 00:10. Reason: Added more info.

Comment

I've just joined site. My step-grandfather William Barnett (1871-1946) was the eldest son of Michael (the gamekeeper, though I didn't know he was at Chartwell) & Jane Barnett & I've done quite a bit of his history that I'm happy to share. Would be pleased to hear from you.
                          jeh.lambert.

Comment

Hi there Jeh, nice to hear from you and welcome to the site. I would love to hear more about William Barnett, as he is one who has completely eluded me until now. I knew that Michael and Jane had 9 children, but could only find details of 8, so this is wonderful. Would love to exchange information, I have managed to trace the Barnetts back to the 1750's.

Linda

P.S. Was he the father of Elsie May Barnett born 1900 in Penge ? That would clear up a huge mystery for me if he was!!
                            Last edited by ozgirl; 20-06-10, 15:54.
                            Linda

Comment

Hi Linda Good to hear from you. Yes, William is the father of Elsie May, s pleased to have solved a mystery for you!. He & his first wife Elizabeth Ann (nee Gilbert, born1873 in Mansfield) also had a son William born 1896 in Beckenham. Elizabeth died in 1905, when Elsie must have gone to William's brother & family as she's with them in Eastbourne in the 1911 census. William married my late Mum's Mum, Ada (nee Barnett & formerly Murphy), in 1915 & they had a daughter Brenda in 1916. I can remember Mum talking about William's son Billy Barnett & think he died fairly young. Step g/father William was a farrier in Beckenham & the family lived in Penge. Gosh. you're further back than me as I've only traced back to William's maternal & paternal grandparents to 1809. Would love to know more. I'm happy to share any of minewith you, though you've probably got there first! How did you find the Chartwell connection & how are the Barnetts related to you? So pleased to be in touch & look forward to hearing more. Janet.

Comment

Hi Jeh, have PM'ed you.

Linda
                                Linda

Comment

Linda,

have you had a look in our Reference Library? we have a Kent page, and it has lots of resources that you can browse

Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I had looked through them Julie, but just had another go at them and found a link to one of my families that looks very interesting. Thanks.

Linda
                                    Linda

Comment

While Browsing I happened upon this thread for Kent.
                                      I have been searching for the family/baptism of my gt.grandmother SARAH LAWRENCE, daughter of William, born c1819. Place is a slight problem because on different census
                                      she gives Thanet, Dover, St Nicholas Wray. Over the years I have seen possibilities but nothing that I would say for certain was Sarah. Any suggestions.
                                      dreen

Comment

All I know about Westerham is that it once had a railway branch line, which was swallowed up when the M25 was built.
                                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                        X