Broadband dongle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadband dongle

I am visitng the UK in March and need access to the internet for a two week period.
    Am thinking about buying a dongle but really don't know much about them.
    Is there something in particular I should be looking for?
    Does coverage vary or do all dongles work everywhere?
    Elaine

Coverage varies drastically.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Cheers Guy!
      Is there a way of finding out beforehand whether the coverage will good in the place I am staying?
      Elaine

Comment

I would have thought coverage would vary depending on the provider. Would the various providers' websites provide information on coverage? (I'm not familiar with UK internet providers, so not really sure what to look for myself)
        Sarah

Comment

This looks useful: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumer/200...erage-checker/

And this: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumer/200...ile-broadband/
          :smilee:
          Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah, those sites look useful.
            Elaine

Comment

Elaine just make sure that you have it password protected as it can be accessed and all your credit used up withing just a few hours otherwise, My son lost all his this way and so did grandaughter too so check out how to put your password into it.

Edna

Comment

Hi Elaine

here in uk some providers are better than others entering your destination post code in the above links it will show the coverage each site will advise whether it is 2g 3g and whether it is suitable for internet. O2.3 & vodafone are the the ones with better coverage each providing monthly usage. If you already have a dongle or buy one it would be a good idea to have it unlocked this can be done at various places and is relatively cheap ( about £5 over here).

The obvious advantage is that you will be able to use it with a variety of mobile sim cards where ever you may need coverage.

Can someone piggyback on my mobile broadband?
                The term 'piggyback' has been common in broadband for a while, describing the act of piggybacking on a broadband connection to use someone else's usage allowance. However, this is done by accessing a network; this isn't going to happen to your dongle. To piggyback broadband connections, you need a wireless network to access; this will only happen if you use your device as a wireless modem. Using Free WiFi hotspots and internet café's means you are sharing a transmitted network and in this situation you will need added protection.

Regards
                Regards Roy

Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

Sorry, just seen the last couple of replies. Thanks.

Looking at the coverage charts I need Orange, Virgin or T-mobile.
                  T-mobile is the only one that seems to offer a pay as you go type contract - so am looking at something like this from PCWorld

T-MOBILE 120 PAY AS YOU GO MOBILE BROADBAND MODEM

I presume I can just walk into PCWorld and pick one up - or do I have to use their Collect@Store ordering service?? Why is it all so complicated!!!
                  Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine

No problems the thing to make sure of is the coverage, you can confirm this with the assistant tell him the post code etc click here
                    Regards Roy

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

I have just bought a broadband dongle and want to password protect it. I'm being a little dim here - how do I do it; I really don't want anyone using my info or my allowance.

Thanks

Twigs

Comment

Originally posted by twigsandthings View Post
                        I have just bought a broadband dongle and want to password protect it. I'm being a little dim here - how do I do it; I really don't want anyone using my info or my allowance.

Thanks

Twigs
                        Dongle security explained Click here
                        Regards Roy

Comment

Thanks for posting this up Elaine, as I think it may solve my internet access problems when visiting my mum, without having to keep visiting the local pub!! :D

I can imagine though that it must work out quite expensive with a pay-as-you-go package. For example how many hours of surfing time could you get with a £15 top-up??

Comment

Depends on the service.
                            I use T-Mobile and they charge something like £2 per day no matter how long you are online in the 24 hour period.
                            This equates to a weeks use for £14.
                            It is very handy for trips away but would be expensive for full time home use
                            Cheers
                            Guy

Comment

That sounds good, thanks Guy...

Comment

Hi Roy,

Many thanks for the website. Glad to know that I will only have to add security suite and get rid of all those horrible ads.

Kind regards

Twigs

Comment

I have a 3dongle that was free of charge just postage, then used software to unlock it so i could use it with any card.
                                  Bought an o2 card from ebay............£20 unlimited for 1 year :D that's what i call a real deal.
                                  Regards Roy

Comment

I thought the 3dongle only gave 12 Gb usage?
                                    Yes it lasts for 12 months, but only until the 12 Gb is used up which if it is used for downloading software, films, music files or even images could be used up quickly.
                                    Cheers
                                    Guy

Comment

Hello Roy,

A brilliant link first time that I have ever looked into info about a dongle. My ISP is with TalkTalk so cannot figure out if I will have to stay with them or can use say O2 my mobile phone provider.

Will have to study the content when I have more time.
                                      Margaret N
                                      DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Well, I can tell you that the Tmobile pay as you go mobile dongle works fine ... although it did take a telephone call to T mobile to get me sorted!
                                        Cost £19.99 in PCWorld this afternoon - comes with one month free surfing once you have paid for a day's usage - which is £2. Only problem is the minimum top up you can do is £5 - so at the end of my holiday I will be £3 in credit which I will have to forfeit as it expires end of April - but at least I will still have the dongle which can be topped up for usage next time we are back in the UK.
                                        There is a daily rate (24hrs) which is £2, a weekly rate is £7 and think a month is something like £15 (although not sure on that last one) - certainly much cheaper than we normally get charged in hotels.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X