downloading IE8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• downloading IE8

Being a computer thicko and because I have IE6 and cannot view this site properly, I thought I would be brave and try to download IE8 after being told it was easy!!

Got as far as 'close programmes and save files' and that was me totally confused!! What files am I suppose to save??

I cancelled the download as I just haven't got a clue what I am doing. Can anyone tell me what is meant by 'save files'

Lesley

Think it means you just need to close all programmes and save any files you were working on before downloading IE8.

Once downloaded, just install it and it should go over the top of the old one.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks for your help Wendy. Well, it looks like I have downloaded it OK but now have to get used to the new style pages!! What are 'tabs'?

Lesley
      Last edited by Punchs mum; 03-01-10, 16:30. Reason: typing error!

Comment

Tabs are a great improvement when you get used to them. Look up at the top and you'll see the tab we are on now and another just beside it. Click on that 'tab' and you get another page of your browser you can then open another internet site without closing FTF. You can have lots of tabs open. For example when I'm working on my tree I have Ancestry on one tab, FreeBMD on another and FTF on another ..... and so on. To change from one to another just click on the appropriate tab at the top!

Anne

Comment

Oh Heck Anne.. I don't even know what I am looking for!! What does the tab look like? Begining to wish I had stayed on IE6, at least I was used to that!

Did warn you that I was a computer thicko!! Sorry!! Thanks for trying to help anyway.

Lesley

Comment

Go right to the top of the page. Just above the Family Tree Forum banner. this thread is called 'downloading IE8'. You can see it there just above the holly leaf. That title is one the first tab. Just to the right is anothe little bit of a tab hiding behind this one. Click on that and it will take you to a new page with the title 'new tab'. You can use that page just like you do when you search for any website. Try loading Google onto it for example. To come back to FTF just click on the other tab.

Anne

Comment

ArgHHHHH!! Got it now! So easy when you know how isn't it! Many thanks for helping me Anne, you instructed me well! You're not a teacher by any chance are you?LOL

Thank you all for your help in getting me sorted!

Lesley

Comment

The other thing about tabs is that you can open links from your favourites in them.

Click on Favourites

Hover your mouse over any of the links and an arrow will appear to the right. If, for example, you want to keep this page open and open another site in a different tab, click on the arrow. Like Anne I usually have at least 3 sites open at once
                Jackie

Comment

LOL, Lesley - yes I did used to be a teacher! Retired now though. Glad I managed to help you.

Anne

Comment

Working...
                  X