Parish records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parish records

I have just received some really useful information from a lady on the rootschat forum. She was able to provide me with a marriage and maiden name for one of my O. H's ancestors. She found the marriage first and on the basis of the known maiden name I looked on igi and Hugh Wallis's web sites to find a possible baptism for Sarah. I found one which I though was the most likely but of course I wasn't sure. However, later the lady in question got back to with a baptism for Sarah in the parish where she had married a birth for Sarah and John's first child, parents for Sarah and burial dates for Sarah and John. Needless to say I was extremely pleased.

This got me thinking. Had I gone with the most likely baptism on igi i would have been completely wrong. I have peppered all over my tree possible baptisms and marriages for people with notes to the affect that assuming that this is the x who married y then the parents are.... or notes to remind me to check the parish records as when the opportunity allows.

Does any one know what percentage of Parish records are on the igi or and High Wallis websites. I am now wondering just how many assumptions I have in my tree which are completely wrong. And after all to assume makes an ass out of you and me!!

Sandra

I have no idea what proportion of parish records have been transcribed onto the IGI, but it isn't a high proportion - many more have NOT been transcribed.

It is a big mistake to rely on the IGI for information and it should be used as a guide, not a bible!

Incidentally, Hugh Wallis is merely a portal to the IGI - his site is a handy list of all parishes transcribed to the IGI, but it has not been updated for about 5 years and the LDS enters new records onto the IGI practically daily.

OC

Comment

Hi OC thank you for your reply. I am aware that igi needs treating with caution. And, I fully intend to check parish records as and when I get chance and I always try and cross reference with as many other sources as I can. However, I didn't realise that igi was still being added too.

Sandra

Comment

Hi Sandra - I was researching ancestors in Croydon and used the IGI to try and piece together as much info as possible before visiting the records office - Croydon seemed pretty well covered by the IGI from about 1600ish to 1870ish and so I assumed the trees that I had put together were correct!! To my surprize when I visited the records office and viewed the records for myself there were 100's of the name I was researching that were not on the IGI....I will never rely on the IGI although I do use it often and think it's a great resource.

Also, I have come acroos many other people's trees that obviously have relied on the IGI!!! I have given them the correct info as per the original parish records but they refuse to change or amend their trees!!!!

Comment

Sandra

In this instance, it isn't that IGI information needs to be treated with caution, it is that we need to realise that by no means everything is on the IGI.

One branch of my family were nonconformists and those records do not appear on the IGI. However, because the names are so common, I could easily have constructed a tree from the parish church records - as Deb says, there are hundreds of people with the same names.

Yes, the IGI is an ongoing project, with volunteers all over the world transcribing records onto the database.

One way of checking which records are NOT on the IGI, is to do a place name search under the Library tab on the LDS site. This will tell you what records the LDS hold about that place (much more than just church records, you will find) and if you drill through each source you will see whether they have transcribed the record or not. This will also give you some ideas baout what other resources you can use to research your family.

OC

Comment

That is why researches must understand why the various records were created. Unless one understands why a record exists one cannot understand what is recorded.

The IGI is an index of the Temple Ordinances of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
            It is not an index of parish registers.
            I lament the day (back in 1981) the name was changed from the Computer File Index (CFI) to The International Genealogical Index (IGI).

Cheers
            Guy
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Hi, please excuse my ignorance but what are Temple ordinances?

Sandra

Comment

just to add my tuppence worth, re the records available on the IGI.

Not everything that is filmed & apparently transcribed is on the IGI - not even where you **think** you have the full set of baptisms & marriages for a parish.

I have a lot of family, going back several hundred years, in Swaledale, Yorks. These records (up to about 1812) are on the IGI and are also available in printed form (also as a free internet download now they are out of copyright). They have given me lots of information & allowed me to construct a "probable" tree, but I am missing a couple of crucial baptisms, and one marriage. These do not appear on the IGI in any likely parishes nearby either. (I won't go into details of why I know my family stayed in the same area for so long.)
                I recently got the microfilmed Parish Registers from the LDS looking for the extra information to use as "evidence" for my probable tree. To my surprise I found at least a dozen records that are missing from the IGI. These seem to be random records, its not as though its a particular period, or all sons or all daughters or anything. All I can think is that someone got a bit weary staring at page after page & occasionally missed out a line when transcribing them. As luck would have it, one of the missing entries was my missing marriage. This is missing from the printed transcripts too, which makes me wonder if they were done by the same person (and done so long ago that no-one has double-checked them)

There are also a few records where I am fairly sure the original has been mistranscribed, and this has also helped to plug a couple of gaps. Not just minor spelling differences, but in one case relying on the IGI website threw up a completely different name for one marriage partner.

So I'd always, always check the original parish records wherever you can.
                Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 03-01-10, 18:25.
                Vicky

Comment

Temple Ordinances are ceremonies carried out by the LDS church as part of their beliefs.
                  The IGI shows the dates these ordinances were performed for the people shown.
                  The three ordinances indexed are
                  Baptism, Endowment and Sealing
                  The may been seen on the microfiche version of the IGI in columns B. E. & S. These ordinances are on the online IGI but are redacted unless a password is used to sign in to the database.
                  See-

One reason odd records may be missing when the rest of the register appears to be extracted is the online records may stem from Bishop’s Transcripts rather than Parish Registers.
                  They may even stem from a third party transcript.
                  Cheers
                  Guy
                  Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I have one VERY ANNOYING instance of the original parish register being completely ignored, and parentage of a child being "altered".

This was my 2 x GGF, who appears on the IGI as baptised the son of his parents (the people who brought him up, in other words).

A look at the original parish records reveals that he is illegitimate and that his aunt and uncle have taken him on. The transcriber has altered the facts to suit themselves, presumably because illegitimacy was not required in the family!

This is a deliberate alteration but I have come across many transcriptions which are wrong - just like any other transcribed record may be, from whatever source. Check the originals (which may also be wrong, of course, lol)

OC

Comment

http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...egister&page=1 This can be very Useful for Parish Records viewed on line but you have to open each one in the eleven pages and click on view on line to find the Parish Records that are being added all the time. It can be a laborious task but if your records are there then very worthwhile.

Edna

Comment

Working...
                      X