Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found a way around getting the Canadian access on Ancestry but FTM ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a way around getting the Canadian access on Ancestry but FTM ???

I can do it with a new email and password but what happens to my Tree ???? obviously I wont be able to access it through the new email but if I ring them will they sort it for me ??? or will they be funny as the offer only applies to new customers???
    Need to know today before the offer ends .
    Thanks

Why dont you download it as a Ged.com and then re upload it to the new one?

Comment

I could do that Peppie but it wont allow me the web search or the option to use their back up service

Comment

Which version of FTM are you using?
        Elaine

Comment

2006 Elaine ,can you correct me if I'm wrong but does the essentials pack not have LMA stuff
          as Amazon are now offering the 2010 Platinum FTM with 6 months free Essentials for £29.97 incl postage

Comment

I am sure that you need the Premium subscription if you want the LMA records.
            What you can do however, is buy the 2010 version with the 6 months free Essentials package, install it on your machine and claim the 6 month free sub - then upgrade to the Premium package. You normally find that when you want to do an upgrade to a higher package Ancestry expects you to pay the full year's premium for that package, but they will refund any balance you have on your existing subscription (which in this case would be the 6 months Essential sub).
            I have done this on a couple of occasions and I have always found Ancestry to be very fair with the refund - in fact you normally get a little bit extra out of them if you do the upgrade by phone.

You said you were concerned about losing the internet backup. The internet backup is via your FTM program and it is irrelevant whether you have an Ancestry sub or not - so this will not be affected.

What will be affected, if you are using FTM2006, is the websearch facility. The registration details of your FTM2006 and your Ancestry sub need to match. If you take out a new subscription using a different email address you will end up with duplicate accounts, that is one account for FTM and a completely different one for Ancestry. It is possible to phone Ancestry and explain you cannot get the websearch to work because you think you might have duplicate accounts and can they help you. Whether or not they will then pick up on the fact that you have taken out the Canadian offer when you weren't entitled to it, I'm not sure.

If however, you were using FTM2010 then you wouldn't have a problem because you can select which Ancestry account you use for the websearch. I have just had a play with FTM2010 and I can switch quite easily between my own Ancestry subscription (which is a UK one) to another Ancestry subscription which I use for my Genealogy group (World package) - the websearch works perfectly well, regardless of which one I select.

Of course any online tree you have on Ancestry would also be affected. You would have to upload a new version to your new account.
            Elaine

Comment

brilliant answer thanks Elaine will do

Comment

My Ancestry renewal is coming up and I need the Premium package.

I bought the FTM 2010 for £29.99 (long story but I had 2005 and have just had to change my PC so decided to put the newer version on)

Yesterday I rang Ancestry and they were really helpful. I asked them if I could have a loyalty discount and they gave me 20% off with no quibbling taking the £107 sub down to £85.92. I then asked them about the 6 months free Essentials that came with FTM (I haven't activated it yet). They said they wouldn't be able to give me both (fair enough) but a compromise was to add the 6 months on after the next years sub is finished and then discount that from my 2011 - 2012 sub.

So I've got FTM 2010 and 1 years premium Ancestry for £115.91 plus 6 months free Essentials discount in 2011. Seems like a reasonable deal to me
                Jackie

Comment

that is brilliant Jackie, might I ask will you now be too busy to come on games and do the Teasers??? says she with tongue in cheek lol

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                    that is brilliant Jackie, might I ask will you now be too busy to come on games and do the Teasers??? says she with tongue in cheek lol
                    No I'll still find the time Val - I know you like the company ;):D
                    Jackie

Comment

;Doh good !!

Comment

HI Val

Just a though but have you taken a look a at the Familyrelatives.com site? They seem to be updating their records all the time and offer pay to view or subs.
                        WendyP

Comment

Working...
                        X