Can any help reading some original documents at the Bristol Records Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can any help reading some original documents at the Bristol Records Office

I visted the Bristol Records Office this week and found they had orignal copies of a will 1839 and lease of 1773 for a distant relative of mine.

It was hard to read more that a few sections becuase I am not 'tuned in' to the handwritting and language of the time.

I have probably missed some important information in these documents that will help me trace my family further back.

Does anyone know of anyone in the Bristol area tbhat might be able to transcribe the documents for me - for a reasonable fee of course.

Thanks.

There are a number of folks here, who could probably help you "tune in". You'd need either to post the docs here, or )more likely) arrange to email them a scan.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Palaeography is the study of old handwriting. This web tutorial will help you learn to read the handwriting found in documents written in English between 1500 and 1800. At first glance, many documents written at this time look illegible to the modern reader. By reading the practical tips and working through the documents in the […]

Your FREE genealogy starting point with more than 317,000 genealogy links, categorized & cross-referenced, in more than 200 categories.

Most people like to try to do it themselves by making a copy of the document, and learning a bit about old writing, but if you really want to paY someone then try the link to Cyndis List as there are transcribers on there who may help you

Edna

Comment

Working...
      X