Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you make a Dell PC wireless enabled ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you make a Dell PC wireless enabled ???

I have a Dell Desktop PC and am using Talktalks wireless Router but wondered is it possible to make the PC wireless enabled so it needs not be plugged into anything? thanks .

Val,

I am far from a 'Tecki' and still plugged in so to speak. When I was searching for somewhere to plug in my old PC I was advised to go wireless and all that I needed was a wireless card installed. Today you maybe able to get a dongle.

Also try 'google' how to make pc wireless
    Last edited by Margaret N; 02-01-10, 21:38.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Easiest way for you Val (so you don't need to take off the top of the PC to install a Wireless card or install software), is to purchase a Wireless Dongle.
      They look like a fat USB Memory stick and plug into one of your USB slots on the PC.

Plug and Play, so when plugged in, it will detect your wifi network and just ask you to type in the password you have set for the network, then you are wifi enabled

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...8&category_oid=
      Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 02-01-10, 22:09.

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Quick question Val, how close is your PC to the wireless router ??
        https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Trevor,
          You mention Network does that mean that if I go Wireless that I will need to change how the Internet and Email is set up? I am using Windows Vista.
          Last edited by Margaret N; 03-01-10, 11:19.
          Margaret N
          DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Thanks very much everyone that sounds promising ,Grim the Router is about 20 feet away in the Hall as is the Phone socket.
            I dont have a Phone Socket in this room thats why I was hoping I could do it another way I am using a Wireless Mouse and that works fine .
            Margaret I dont think you have to do that ?

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret N View Post
              Trevor,
              You mention Network does that mean that if I go Wireless that I will need to change how the Internet and Email is set up? I am using Windows Vista.
              Dongle will detect that there is a WiFi signal and attempt to connect.
              There is nothing needed regarding Email Internet settings, as all you are doing is using a radio signal instead of being connected via a wire to the router.

Researching:
              FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

as I promised myself never to set foot or buy a thing from PC World ever again am looking on Amazon, but not sure which one to go for ??? I did get a Belkin Dongle a while ago and it proved incompatable with my Laptop so wonder if it is the same with a PC ?

Comment

Val,
                  This is the one I use on my main PC and it will work on any Laptop/PC

Amazon has the standard version of it which would be far cheaper

I find D-Link to be far more relaible than Belkin, though more expensive.
                  The difference between the two I have shown you is the data transfer speed, with the only real need for the faster transfer is if you are using it (as I do with college work), to view streaming live video feeds.

Looked at Amazon and to be honest, there are some real bargins that will do what you want

Would suite your needs and is fantastically cheap at the moment.

I just stick with D-Link, as all my college uses when we get students to build small local wifi networks with it and the routers etc have been so reliable
                  Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 03-01-10, 22:54.

Researching:

Comment

thanks very much Trevor PC World let me down badly and I will never use them again.

Comment

Two of my students work there on Saturdays and I cannot repeat their comments as to the 'knowledge' that fulltime staff have
                      LOL

Researching:

Comment

ordered thanks should be here this week will let you know if I have any probs ,

Comment

HELP it says cannot detect a network

Comment

If your dongle is not seeing your router you will need to check the router setting it could be set to "hide network broadcast" in which case your dongle or network card wont see it, router settings vary with router model.Make sure if you are going wireless to fit filters to all telephone appliances. You should be able to pick up the wireless signal and again this depends on how good your router is, you should be ok ;but if not purchase a telephone extension lead and connect the router nearer.
                            Regards
                            Regards Roy

Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

Thanks Rbere will look into that

Comment

all you need to know click here

regards Roy
                                Last edited by rbere; 10-01-10, 20:43.
                                Regards Roy

Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

thats very useful thanks

Comment

well dont know whats happened but it will not work installed wireless okay but it still cannot find a network.

Comment

Working...
                                    X