Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ancestry to get England and Wales 1911 Census summary books???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a description of them on the 1911 census website blog - http://blog.1911census.co.uk/category/service-update/

An example shown on FMP website - http://www.findmypast.co.uk/cms/fmp.images.esb1.gif
    Elaine

Comment

So have FMP already got these census summary books ?

Comment

Yes they have. You get an option to view them when you view the census image.
        Elaine

Comment

so its not the same thing we get on FMP then Elaine ?

Comment

It´s not the same as the census page that you see when you view the image on FMP - but if you go to one of the images on FMP you will see at the top of the page there are two boxes. One is original images and the other Enumerators book images. Click on Enumerators book images / list - and you will see the sort of thing that Ancestry is proposing.
            Elaine

Comment

I'm still trying to decide between Ancestry and FMP. Anyone know how much a worldwide sub to Ancestry is going to cost me this time around. I have had UK, Aus and USA in the past, had to use different e-mail addies to get them though. I don't seem to be able to get into the CA site though.
              Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

try that link Daphne but you wil need to log out of Ancestry first if you want this offer as it will recognise you

Comment

That is really interesting; no mention yet though of transcriptions nor of images.

This is correspondence that I had with the National Archives almost a year ago:-

Dear Ms Dean,

Thank you for your enquiry. The 1911 Census contract was awarded to
                  Scotland Online (brightsolid) who subsequently acquired Find My Past.

No microfilm exists of the 1911 census, in contrast to previous censuses
                  which had previously been filmed. Scanning from original paper documents
                  is about 10 times more costly than scanning from microfilm. The huge
                  investment involved in scanning 18m images in colour direct from paper
                  original census returns has to be recouped if digitisation is to be
                  economically viable, thus The National Archives agreed that for the
                  initial launch period of this census, pricing would be on a pay-per-view
                  basis only. Scanning is still ongoing, so there will be a phased release
                  of records over a few of months in 2009. Later in the year, these
                  records will be incorporated into findmypast subscription content, and
                  available on the same terms as other censuses, passenger lists and other
                  genealogical resources.

In addition, once the scanning and transcribing of the 1911 census has
                  been completed and has been available online for 6 months, the images
                  only, will be available for duplication and re-sale to any other
                  commercial providers, county record offices or any other interested
                  bodies or individuals, who will then need to create their own
                  transcriptions, indexes and online services, but we have not entered
                  into any formal negotiations with secondary licensees at this point in
                  time.

Regards, Carole MacCormack

ENQUIRY DETAIL: When will the ancestry site have the 1911 census,
                  please? I did see that find my past is first, from the internet, and
                  wonder when ancestry will have it.

I helped find my past site test the 1911 census and, as part of
                  feedback, told find my past that the cost would be far too expensive.

Thank you.
                  Joy

Comment

it says from 2010 ??? but it seems it wont be the whole info FMP has

Comment

Working...
                    X