No announcement yet.

maria butler (that old chestnut again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maria butler (that old chestnut again)

new year new look. Just discovered there was a Jacob William BUTLER and wife Maria Elizabeth Surry married 1861 Lewisham. THey had a son Charles c 1867 but he died 1868. I am just wondering if my Maria was with this family. My Maria Butler is in the metropolitan school in 1881 with nearest living relation Charles c 1867 woolwich. I had always assumed him to be her brother but maybe its a cousin.

So my question is can anybody locate mr Jacob William BUTLER and wife Maria Elizabeth in the Woolwich area in 1871?

Have spent many hours searching this one over the last couple of years but always drawn a blank and now thisone has cropped up so fingers crossed it may be a new lead.
    My Maria gives her father as William Butler when she married in 1890 so all the names are looking likely.
    My Maria Butler was born c 1870 woolwich

This is possible Piece: 778; Folio: 4; Page: 1; GSU roll: 824735

They have been transcribed as Baller

Jacob W Baller 34
    Maria E Baller 29
    Robert Baller 1

Living in Woolwich

Comment

His death

Name: Jacob William Butler
      Estimated birth year: abt 1836
      Year of Registration: 1888
      Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
      Age at Death: 52
      District: Woolwich
      County: Greater London, Kent, London
      Volume: 1d
      Page: 721

Comment

Here they are in 1881 but Jacob now seems to be Joseph - All the info fits though but they have a few more children
        RG11; Piece: 753; Folio: 61; Page: 12; GSU roll: 1341177.

Joseph Butler 43
        Maria Butler 39
        Robert Butler 11
        John Butler 9
        Charles Butler 8
        Helen Butler 4

Comment

Maria married again and he she is with her new husband in 1891 RG12; Piece: 537; Folio 10; Page 10; GSU roll: 6095647

Her mum is also living/visiting her and she seems to have 2 more sons Abraham and Harry

Robert Graveston 57
          Maria Graveston 46
          John Butler 19
          Charles Butler 18
          Abraham Butler 9
          Harry Butler 7
          Charlotte Surrey 69

I hope this is of help to you??

Comment

thank you so much for that. I wondered why I had overlooked this family before and its because it was mistranscribed as Baller. Still no sign of my Maria Butler though.

Comment

I see you found them in 1881 so thats not my family then. I felt there may have been a link as Maria said her father was William and this family had a Maria for the mother with a charles. Back to the drawing board!!

Comment

Hi Gloryer, can I ask how you know the Maria Butler in the metropolitan school in 1881 is yours - Do you have more information about her? as I was looking for Jacob I came across quite a few Butlers in that area, have you ruled all of them out?

Comment

the Maria BUTLER I am looking for married William Pearson in 1890 in Northfleet Kent. She gives her fathers name as William Butler occupation labourer. On 1891 and 1901 says she is from Woolwich and her age given means she was born approximately 1870. The only one I could find 1881 is in the metropolitan district school. I have seen the registers and it states her nearest living relation is Charles Butler also in the school and he is c1867 woolwich.
                  the 1871 census shows a Maria butler with father william and brother charles but this Maria isnt mine as she shows up on a later census under her married name of Shurety. I cant find a birth registration for her either.
                  I was searching for something else when I noticed this Jacob William BUtler and wondered why I hadnt come across him before but now you have found him as Baller then that explains that one and eliminates him.

Comment

Working...
                  X