Hilda or Beatrice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilda or Beatrice

On 1901 census George and Jane Hiles youngest was Beatrice, aged 2. In the 1911 census she seems to have changed into Hilda aged 11. There is an entry on BMD for Hilda Brown Hiles in Dec 1899, but I cannot find any listing for Beatrice around 1898/9.

George and Jane had 13 children - do you think they might have got confused with the names - it didn't help that they named one daughter Annie, the next Louisa then the next Annie Louisa! I am having a great deal of bother finding most of them post 1901. Most of the boys seem to have disappeared completely

If anyone can find anything for a Beatrice born circa 1898/1899 in Oxford area I woul be very grateful.

this is them in 1901search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1901&indiv=try&h=7995323

Thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

I have had a good look around and as you say Hilds Brown Hiles looks like the one, I checked out Free BMD and no Beatrice found there

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
      - do you think they might have got confused with the names -
      No, they probably had the same determination to confuse future generations of family historians as my distant cousin who appears in 1901 under his registered name of Nicholas, in 1911 under the name of his deceased twin Albert and by the time he served in the Great War had morphed into Herbert!
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks for having a go - now to see if I can find any other of George and Janes' progeny.

Linda
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
        X