When did Henry VIII die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did Henry VIII die?

I'm probably having a senior moment here...

various sources I've just checked say Jan 1547...

my question is - would this really have been what we regard as 1548? ie, the previous christmas was in 1547, not 1546.

my reason for asking... I have just found a date of 10 Dec 1547 for a rellie being knighted. I'd been told a long time ago that this was at the court of Henry VIII. But if Henry died the PREVIOUS January, then it wouldn't have been him, would it?

Its never occurred to me before, whether modern historians have made any adjustments for the "New" year starting at the end of March, not at the beginning of January.
    Vicky

Before 1752 the new year began on 25th March.

When I am transcribing for FreeREG I have to use split years before 1752. ie 1723/3
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

yes I know - just wondered whether the historians have already "adjusted" the date?
      Vicky

Comment

The year 1547 went like this:
        March 1547 (starting on the 25th)
        April 1547
        May 1547
        June 1547
        July 1547
        August 1547
        September 1547
        October 1547
        November 1547
        December 1547
        January 1547
        Fenruary 1547
        March 1547/1548

So your relative was knighted a month before Henry died.

Generally speaking, historical dates are not corrected unless you see 1547/8 or whatever. I personally don't approve of date correction because you never know where it will end...I chased up a poor child born three years in succession...turns out he had been corrected twice by an over zealous transcriber.

OC

Comment

Working...
        X