Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry.co.uk V find my past .co.uk

HI All.
    I have been looking at the memberships of the above two sites. I cannot see anywhere that you have access to 1911 census on ancestry?!
    Are you only able to access it via findmypast.co.uk?

Thank for you help

deb

Yes, 1911 census only available via FindmyPast or the dedicated 1911 website - http://www.1911census.co.uk/
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elain.
      Thank you for that. I have used ancestry before but not findmypast. The latter is cheaper to join, but not sure if it is a good. What is your opinion please?

Thanks

deb

Comment

I'm rather spoilt as I have a subscription to both.

Census info much the same on both, although FMP has the 1911 as well. I generally find FMP transcriptions are better and you can also search census by address if you want to.
        BMD index - Ancestry definitely better.
        Immigration/emigration passenger lists - Ancestry probably better
        Parish records - depends what you need. Ancestry has a collection from the LMA (London Metropolitan Archives) - a must if you have London ancestors.
        Parish records on FMP - very good if it covers what you need - new stuff being added regularly.
        Military info - Ancestry generally better.

It´s difficult to say which is the best to have - it really depends what you are looking for!
        Elaine

Comment

HI Elaine.

Brilliant answer, thank you. At least you have given me something to think about before i make my decision.
          Many thanks Deb

Comment

Sorry to butt in on your thread Deb but I was just pondering over the same question.
            My husband died in May and I seem to have lost a year researching and lost touch with everything, but I'm now ready to get back into it and concentrate on my hubby's side of the family.
            I have just cancelled my Australian Ancestry that Glen kindly put us on to last year and I was thinking of joining FMP.
            All my research seems to be in the UK but not in London and I would really like the 1911 census for my own side of the family as well. After reading Elaine's answer I'm wondering if FMP would be better for me.
            I will miss Ancestry simply because I've used it for so long, only hope I will be Ok making the change.
            Jean
            Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

FindmyPast offer a free 14 day free trial, so why not give it a go and see how you like it. I presume it would be the same as signing up for the Ancestry free trial in that you would have to give a credit card and remember to cancel at the end of the 14 day period if you don't want to subscribe - but you would need to check this out.
              Elaine

Comment

.. now having said that, I can't find the link to their 14 day free trial offer!
                I'll have a hunt through some old threads for you.
                Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine ...... I did see the 15% off and that's what prompted me to act.

Comment

I can't find the link to the 14 day free trial - it may well be on their home page but every time I log in it recognises me as a registered member so obviously it's not a valid offer for me.
                    Elaine

Comment

got it Elaine ....it is on the Home Page. I was just looking through some old emails they had sent me ..... they were offering 20% off before Christmas .... still ....my Ancestry hadn't rang out then.

Thankyou for your time ... I'll try the 14 days.

Comment

Elaine I decided to go straight for the full subscription because 1911 was not offered with the 14 days ......... and touch wood ...I love it.
                        It was £127 42 with the discount ... which isn't bad.

Comment

Have fun!
                          Elaine

Comment

i just took the 20% off offer for a full sub, and im loving it! though i dont have as much time to play as i want!

Comment

Good luck Jean with starting up on your research again :-)
                              deb

Comment

Working...
                              X