Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leicester & leicestershire marriage index 1801-1837

I'm thinking of buying some family history resources e.g. the above CD

However I'm not sure what it's likely to contain .... so I'd appreciate it if someone would please enlighten me ...
    as there's not a description of what to expect

.... so I don't want to order it and then be disappointed.
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

There really doesn't seem to be anything that specific available about it, is there! I'd be interested to know, myself. is it worth emailing the society to suggest that it might be appropriate to include a more detailed description? You could cite the kind of detailed info provided by some other counties - e.g. Hampshire, Devon - for their materials.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have the disc, and it's not digitised - it's a scanned version of a transcription.

Each marriage is indexed in surname order, so when you find the surname and Christian name you want you have to trawl through all the people with that name to find the right parish.

E.g.:

Smith, John (wife's name) (year) (parish)

I'll e-mail you a list of the parishes it includes (it's on pdf, so I can't just C&P it.)
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 31-12-09, 20:51.

Comment

phew ... glad it's not just me!

maybe there's not much to it .. just an index and nothing else ...

Thanks for explanation Mary - I was hoping you'd read this thread .... do you think the CD is worth buying?
        Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 31-12-09, 20:20.

Comment

Mary does it cover St Nicholas, Leicester, as I am looking for a marriage of my GGG Grandfather in 1825?
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
            I have the disc, and it's not digitised - it's a scanned version of a transcription.

<snip>
            I did some googling and there's a picture of the original book's cover in Google.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
              Mary does it cover St Nicholas, Leicester, as I am looking for a marriage of my GGG Grandfather in 1825?
              Yes, do you went me to look for it?

Comment

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post

.... do you think the CD is worth buying?
                If you have a lot of Leicester and Leicestershire marriages, £11 odd is perhaps worth it, because the IGI coverage for Leics. is very patchy; however, it is just an index, so the only information you'll get is the spouses' names, year and parish of marriage; the witnesses, spouses' parishes of residence and exact date of marriage aren't included.

If I remember rightly, this index used to be on FHOL, but when their databases were transferred to FMP, none of the Leics. databases were included (presumably the Leics. FHS refused).

Comment

That would be great Mary. Thank you.

Joseph Jacques (Jaques) married Jane Walker in 1825, probably at St. Nicholas Church.
                  Wendy

Comment

there is the philimores marriage records for leics that are volumes 1-12 from S&N genealogy...

whether this is the same as what you are after is another matter..
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                      That would be great Mary. Thank you.

Joseph Jacques (Jaques) married Jane Walker in 1825, probably at St. Nicholas Church.

Yes, the index confirms that the marriage was at St. Nicholas. His name's spelled Jaques. No other information given.

Comment

Thanks Mary.
                        Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                          there is the philimores marriage records for leics that are volumes 1-12 from S&N genealogy...

whether this is the same as what you are after is another matter..
                          The Phillimore's index gives the exact date of the marriage, and the parishes of the spouses.

However, the parishes included on the disc only cover about half the county, at a rough guess, and Leicester isn't included.

Coverage:
                          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 31-12-09, 21:16.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your thoughts etc on this topic

Comment

There are 2 volumes of Philimores marriages for Leicestershire in our Wiki, can`t remember what areas they cover though
                              Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                              Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                              Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X