Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Maker 2010

Hi

I cannot seem to instal FTM 2010 on my laptop, after loading the disc it start the install wizard starts loading then stops & says it is not responding, any ideas please? I'm starting to pull my hair out!!

Julie

Why not go through the disk - cancel the install wizard go into computer,find your CD/DVD drive open it and then click on set up ?

Comment

Which anti virus program are you using?
      I know there used to be problems with Norton and it was necessary to disable it before installing FTM.
      Elaine

Comment

Tried that still no joy!

Comment

I'm using Norton & I did disable before loading. When I first put the CD in it let me register but that has never come up again each time I try now. Just the set up wizard which stops half way through & the not responding message. I've turn off Norton, ran as adminastrator, started set up direct from CD Drive. Runninning out of ideas now to try. Was really looking forward to using FTM 2010 but looks like I'll be using 2005 for the time being.
          Any other ideas anyone?

Julie

Comment

I don't like to give up but can I suggest you post a message on the Family Tree Maker Forum where there is a resident 'expert' Russ Worthington who is very helpful (I've used him a few times in the past).
            Research Family Tree Maker: Installation in the General forums on Genealogy.com, the new GenForum!

Russ is based in the USA so his response time may vary a bit - but he is normally fairly prompt in offering help.
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Wizzy Girl View Post
              I'm using Norton & I did disable before loading. When I first put the CD in it let me register but that has never come up again each time I try now. Just the set up wizard which stops half way through & the not responding message. I've turn off Norton, ran as adminastrator, started set up direct from CD Drive. Runninning out of ideas now to try. Was really looking forward to using FTM 2010 but looks like I'll be using 2005 for the time being.
              Any other ideas anyone?

Julie
              Could be a disc read fault, causing it to freeze during install.
              Copy the whole disc contents into a folder on your desktop and try running set-up from there.

Researching:
              FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks Elaine

I was posting on Family Tree Maker Forum at the same time as here, & yes Russ & another guy came up trumps, I did a clean boot disabing certain things & managed to load cd. Now all I need to do is import all data from FTM 2005 into FTM 2010. Russ has said that FTM 2010 shpuld see 2005 data as they are both on the same PC But that will have to be another day, tonight has been long in getting it to load.

But now I can go to bed a happy woman.

Hopefully the reast will be easy (famous last words)!!

Julie

Comment

Good news Julie - over the first hurdle! I think you will find that when you open 2010 it will find your original file and ask if you wish to convert to 2010 format. Make sure you have a back up copy of it before you go any further. Once imported into 2010 there is no going back other than by a GEDCOM type file.
                  Elaine

Comment

Working...
                  X