Researching a house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Researching a house

Has anyone got any tips on how to research a house? I have the deeds but i have a feeling some of them aren't in there as there are lots of gaps.
    Jen

I'm not sure what you're after - but I suppose that you could go back through the censuses, using address-search (easier on FMP than Ancestry). That would find the occupiers - but not necessarily the owners, of course.

The phonebooks on Ancestry? and Historical Directories on the historical directories site? Those would serve a similar purpose, between the censuses - as would electoral rolls.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

you could try here...

also look at Lincs Archives (presuming the house is in this area) they usually have some info about it, or perhaps the library.

or

Explore the local archives to help your research into family and local history at your local council
      Last edited by Darksecretz; 31-12-09, 10:51.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I was looking into the history of a cottage in the wilds of Cornwall where I was evacuated, and was able to deduce a lot from all the Census from 1841 onwards. I also knew about the cottage down the road so was able to do the same for that and found out so much about the area on the way. I had always thought it was a tied cottage for Ag Labs but discovered it was actually a stonemakers cottage with clay tip workers there as well. To go back beyond 1841 then you will need to look at tithe maps to see when the property you are interested in was first built. This will also give you a list of names to take you beyond 1841. Then it will be a question of visits to the area to see if you can date the property roughly and look at deeds within the CRO if it is beyond a certain date.

Janet

Comment

See if you can get hold of a copy of Collins - Tracing your Home's History by Anthony Adolph. (library might have a copy)

I bought it as a present so didn't read it - no need as my house was a new build.

Glancing through saw fire insurance records - but how or where you might find them I don't know.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
            See if you can get hold of a copy of Collins - Tracing your Home's History by Anthony Adolph. (library might have a copy)

I bought it as a present so didn't read it - no need as my house was a new build.

Glancing through saw fire insurance records - but how or where you might find them I don't know.
            In London, the Guildhall had the Sun Fire Insurance collection - and it shows up on A2A and the broader TNA online search.

I got copies of the documents which showed the payments made by OH's Gx3-g-father to insure his properties at particular dates - and it has to describe where the property is for avoidance of mistake if there's a claim.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Here's another link http://www.howto.co.uk/property/research-house-history/

Have you tried directories?

Comment

Thanks everyone. I live local to the library so i could easily get in there to have a good nosey around, i was just wondering who used to live here how long they lived here and a little history about the house. I am sure i have seen our house on the 1901 census before but can only find in our deeds it going back to 1940's so not sure. Thankyou for all the websites i will have a look at them.
                Jen

Comment

Jennie

It wasn't compulsory to register Land Deeds until very recently, so your Deeds may not fully reflect the history of your house.

Another useful resource might be the Rates Books..again until recently, it was the OWNER of the house who was responsible for paying the rates, not the tenant.

I used to live in a Victorian house. the Deeds only went back to the 1950s, but by looking at local maps I was able to pin down a build date between 1892 and 1894. Using that information, I then found that the property had been built and owned by the Railway company and was used to house upper railway servants, lol.

Another interesting find was that the houses had been completely renumbered. When they were originally built, they were numbered as a terrace. (1,2,3, etc) Later, the distinction of a terrace was lost and the houses renumbered to fit in with the longer road on which they stood. (146, 147, etc)

OC

Comment

funnily enough we know our house was built approx 1875, but is still a lovely house and we wouldnt swap it for the world!
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thats interesting OC i think a trip to the library next week is definatly in order. From the deeds i have found that elderly people seemed to live here and then it was passed on to their attorney once they passed away this has happened 3 times. I spoke to my mum the other day and she told me the people who lived here in the 80's were their best friends so they can remember the house along time before we moved in and they said it has changed alot from what they can remember.

I did notice that on a couple of peices of paper work it was known as a different address or that is how it reads to me but to my OH it reads that the other address is just where the person buying the house used to live, so will need to also look this up as i am stubborn and sure that i am correct but he can't see that they would change the name of a main road but as i said it might not of been a main road 60 years ago.
                      Jen

Comment

Never been tempted to do this - but then the house I lived in as a child was newbuild when my parents moved in. The house I live in now was built in the 1990s. Oldest house I've lived in was built in 1930s and I was in a terrace with 2 neighbours who were original inhabitants so got the history from them verbatim!
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                        X