Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Library access - what do I do now please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Library access - what do I do now please?

My local library gave me a card and number so that I could search newspapers on line.
    Can someone tell me please what site I go to now?
    I want to look for a possible death notice in Leicestershire or Derbyshire between 2005 and now.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Hi Chrissie, do you mean Gale newspapers?

Comment

Thanks Trish - I don't know, do I LOLOL
      Will go take a look.

Comment

You need to look at your local library website - what county are you in?
        Elaine

Comment

I have bookmarked that link thanks TRish. My code isn't working on it but I'm checking with the library.

Comment

Oh, thanks Elaine. I'm in Nottingham and I did look at that site but I couldn't understand how to look at other newspapers.

Comment

The link Trish has given to you wont work as that is for Lancashire Library!

Click on this link - http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/ho...erencematerial
              - you will then see a list of Free Online Resources - the bottom two in the listing are newspaper collections. It is the 19th Century British Newspaper collection that you will find most helpful.

Although it lists Ancestry at the top of the resource list you will probably find that can only be accessed from one of the library computers.
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks again Elaine. I have just spoken to the library and there has been a bit of a ......... insert your own words lol. I am not registered for some reason, so I have to go in this afternoon and they will re register me and try and find out what's available.

p.s. And I have put that link in my favourites and printed your advice. Thanks again.

Comment

Ooooops! Sorry, thought they all worked together for that site

Comment

Not to worry - so did I TRish

Comment

I don't think the 19C newspapers are what you are looking for if you want a notice from 2005!!! Perhaps the Nottinghamshire libraries have modern newspapers online?

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                        I don't think the 19C newspapers are what you are looking for if you want a notice from 2005!!! Perhaps the Nottinghamshire libraries have modern newspapers online?
                        Very true. I missed the 2005 bit in the first post!
                        Elaine

Comment

I've been to the library and they have sorted my card and given me an e-mail addy to ask for help. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                            I've been to the library and they have sorted my card and given me an e-mail addy to ask for help. Thank you all for your suggestions.
                            Chrissie., do you just have to enter the number on your library card? my card doesnt expire until 2018 but it isnt recognising it? or would I have to use Huck Library to access it? ?
                            Last edited by Darksecretz; 30-12-09, 11:10.
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

its ok.. I am having a daft moment... I have now sorted it, and have got logged in..
                              Julie

Comment

Did you use the bar code Julie - minus the two letters on the end?

Comment

Did you use the bar code Julie - minus the two letters on the end?

all you need to do is put in the first letter (in my case D) then the numbers..ignore anything else.. and you will get in

yep the numbers above the bar code yes. first letter then numbers
                                  Julie

Comment

Thanks JUlie I am off now for lunch and we have to go out this afternoon. I shall have a good look later.

Comment

Thanks JUlie I am off now for lunch and we have to go out this afternoon. I shall have a good look later.
                                      did you manage it Chrissie?
                                      Julie

Comment

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't had time yet My contact is bombarding me with e-mails to try and find marriages/deaths etc :Big Grin: Will get onto it when I get a minute.

Comment

Working...
                                        X