Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On ancestry, is it possible to merge people in the family tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On ancestry, is it possible to merge people in the family tree?

Ive started using the ancestry online tree but I do find that I get in a bit of a mess with merging. For example, this morning I did a whole family for 1841-1901 plus all their bits and then I started thinking there was a big gap between the first two kids. So off I go looking for the marriage on freereg and yes, the groom is shown as a widower. From there I eventually find the correct mother of the eldest child (the chap Im interested in) I have fiddled about adding new mums details, marriage to the father etc. But when I look at the tree the families/details of the first marriage are not joined for the details/marriage of the fathers second marriage.

Is there anyway to merge them please?

I did that a lot at the beginning Heather am very careful now .Its a bit long winded but go to edit this person, that greyish box under their name then click on relationships and you can alter stuff on it.
    Good luck

Comment

Heather, can I ask why you are building your tree on Ancestry, rather than on FTM and then uploading a copy. A much safer way to do it!
      Elaine

Comment

I'm the same Elaine I actually prefer it ,and I find more stuff on the search than I do through FTM ???????????????????

Comment

It just worries me when people build their trees on Ancestry, attaching census images, photos etc. There is no way of completely backing it up.

Far better, in my opinion, to build your tree in FTM, adding images etc, and then uploading to Ancestry at regular intervals. It's then under your control and can be completely backed up.
          Elaine

Comment

Well, its as Val says, it is so much easier to add new information on there. Its at your finger tips and also you can add from contacts trees at just a click. I believe you can then import it all back to your FTM anyway Elaine, cant you? That was my plan.

Comment

As far as I am aware Heather the only way to get it back to FTM is via a GEDCOM file. This will not include any image attachements that you have created on Ancestry, e.g. census images, photos etc. It will be purely data.
              Elaine

Comment

Still fiddling val. I think Ive sorted it then find I have two separate pages for the one son by a different wife :( Thing is I have ALL his marriage and kids stuff on there - dont want to lose that as it was hours and hours of work. So Ive one page with him on there and nothing else and another page with his wife, kids, events and so on. I just cant seem to merge the two.

Elaine, I only exported a gedcom and then added all the photos from windows media. New photos from other people I am saving on my puter aswell.

Comment

So does that mean you are having to re-add/attach all the photos each time you download a new gedcom?
                  Elaine

Comment

No, you add all the photos to their media gallery.

Comment

sorry cant help you more Heather it might be easier although take longer to start again with the link that has the most people in it ??? does that make sense?
                      I will see if I can merge ??? with my lot

Comment

was thinking wonder if you could export the tree into FTM then merge it and put it back on Ancestry ??? or does that sound too daft ?

Comment

Heather, i found the easiest way to do it was delete the child, then when you put it back at the bottom of the box you put the name into, it asks which set of parents the child belongs to.
                          Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                          Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                          Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Slightly off topic but I see that you can make a ged com from Ancestry to FTM. If this is correct how do you do it? It is probably obvious but I can't see it. I am doing my OH's tree and got carried away on ancestry and now have an awful lot of info to put on to FTM. I agree I should have done it the other way!

Comment

All done!

Comment

Working...
                              X