Scottish War prior to 1876

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish War prior to 1876

My ancestor William Laughlan (bearing in mind this spelling could range from Lanchline, Laughland, Lachlan etc), who was married to a Jane Grieve in 1855 at St Patricks, Partick, Renf. is supposed to have been killed in a War. I'm not familiar with Wars in Scotland, tho Battle of Culloden and Battle of Corunna have been mentioned, but I think that referred to earlier ancestors. His wife remarried in 1876, so we can assume he died before that. Are there any war records I can search for his death?

Family hearsay is that the Laughlan's were standard bearers to the Cameron Lochiel. How can I prove that?
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

Corunna was 1809 and Culloden was mid 1740's so certainly neither of them. It is likely he was a soldier in the British Army so you need to check a "timeline" for that period - India was a possibility - not necessarily a "War" as such - but lots of local uprisings - and possibly Sudan/Egypt

Were there children from the marriage so you can possibly tie the date down better

Best place to check for possible Army records is National Archives - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cheers
    Sue

Comment

Thanks Sue, will look at that site.
      His children were
      Samuel b to 1st wife 1851
      John 1856 (all these to 2nd wife) Jane Grieve
      William 1858
      George 1860
      Jane 1864
      Catherine 1866

Jane Grieve/Laughlan remarried 11-8-1876

Edit: I had a look at the site, but being Australian and not being familiar with the site, was unable to find anything (possibly due to the different spellings. Oh well !
      Last edited by jood; 29-12-09, 04:07.

Comment

Checking again - Sudan/Egypt was a little later than your possible dates - here is "A LIST OF 19TH CENTURY BRITISH WARS AND CAMPAIGNS" - that might help

Gives you an idea of how far afield the British Army was involved during that period

Cheers
        Sue

Comment

I see you are in Oz too Sue lol It's just that I've never used the UK archives before.
          That list of Wars doesn't seem to fit in does it? Maybe I just need to find his death certificate.
          Thanks for sending the list tho.

Comment

So that narrows his death down to loosely a 10 year period. If the children were born in Scotland (so you can see details on Scotland's People rather than ordering certs) are there clues about their father's occupation/location of births that might help narrow things down

Good Luck

Sue

Comment

These campaigns all fit in the 1866-1876 period

1866 – Canada (Fenian Raid - Punitive Expedition)

1867-1868 – Abyssinian Expedition

Engagement: Magdala

1870 – Canada (Manitoba, Red River Punitive

Expedition

1873-1874 - Second Ashanti War (West Africa)

But whether you would be able to find casualty lists anywhere - I really don't know - and as you say the spelling variations certainly don't help

Cheers
              Sue

Comment

Sorry Sue - I could have sent that part of the tree in full - here goes.

Married aged 28 at St Patrick's Church, Partick, Scotland on 16/10/1855. In 1856 at the birth of son John, their name was spelt Lachlan. Note at the Census it was Laughland.
                Census of Scotland 1861 shows that
                William Laughland lived at 8 Moncrieff St, Paisley aged 33 (Miners Labourer), born in Ireland,
                Jane, aged 26 born Renfrewshire, Paisley,
                Samuel, Son aged 10, (Scholar), born Lanarkshire, Glasgow,
                William John, Son aged 2, born Ayrshire, Auchinleck and
                George Laughland, Son aged 6 months) born Renfrewshire, Paisley. Therefore William must have been born in Ireland in 1828, Jane in Paisley in 1835.

I'll look up the wars later Sue, am about to have lunch (Im holidaying in Perth lol)
                Attached Files

Comment

I would have thought that it would be better to find out first whether or not your ancestor was in the army before looking at the battles. There are various ways to check out whether person in army or not. Have you marriage cert? That will give you his occupation at time of marriage. Have you certs of children? They will gives you hints as to of whether still in army when births take place. Some may tell you he is an army pensioner. Have you his death cert which even if he died in army in a battle somewhere would be listed in the Army register of BMD found on Findmypast in the overseas index.

Janet

Comment

I think your best place to look will be Scotlandspeople. It's a pay to view site but you can download BMDs directly from there.

Cath.
                    Cath.

Comment

Janet - I checked the overseas death indexes related to the military already - but for the period concened roughly 1866 - 1876 they are not as comprehensive as they are later - though with the various spelling possibilities for the surname and not being able to "browse" through the pages on FMP - it is always worth doing a double check

Also - checking William's status on the relevant certificates was what I was suggesting yesterday - there appears to be plenty of date/address information on the tree Jood posted so presume the certificates have been accessed at some point - do you have them Jood - or did you get them from someone else - as they are all in Scotland it is of course possible to look at entries via Scotland's People rather than ordering pape rcopies

Cheers
                      Sue

Comment

You will find that the Regimental Records on FMP overseas index for 1866 to 1876 are just as reliable as at any time before or after this date. The registers actually date from about 1780 and are a great resource, though I agree finding them on FMP is nothing like looking at the original Regimental Indexes that used to be at at the old FRC in London but that is supposed to be progress, all online now, but the information is still there.

My great grandfather was in the army in the 1850's and was in the Crimea and Indian Mutiny with a stint in Mauritius up to the early 1860's. Posted to Ireland in 1863 he met and married my great grandmother in Ireland in 1865, the Curragh being one of the favourite army barracks. He had one child in Ireland and others born in barracks all over the country in 1866, 1868, 1869, 1870, 1871, 1873, all found in the Regimental Indexes.

Do not forget that Ireland was in great conflict from the 1850's onwards and most soldiers will have done at least one stint in Ireland, if not more and many will have died in that country. I have many army ancestors and all have done their stints in Ireland.

Janet
                        Last edited by Janet; 29-12-09, 21:34.

Comment

The Regimental Indexes are nowhere near complete by the way.
                          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Janet, Cath & Sue - thank you for your replies - I'll get back to you all as soon as I can

and Annswabey
                            Last edited by jood; 30-12-09, 01:50.

Comment

I'm really sorry girls - for thinking he might have been in the army. I dont have his death cert, but have ascertained that his occupations were as follows:
                              Janet – I checked the certificates I had, and came up with
                              Brickmakers Labourer in 1855
                              Contractors Labourer 1857
                              Brick Maker in 1858
                              Miners Labourer in 1861
                              Fireman in a steamer 1864
                              Contractor's labourer 1867
                              So he was never in the army – he was deceased prior to 1876 as his wife remarried that year.

Comment

Jood where in Scotland did his wife re-marry?
                                Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Have sent you a PM Jood but think the one I mentioned is correct. He died 16 December 1868 and was wife of Jane Grieve. Will send more details if you PM your address.
                                  Last edited by Durham Lady; 30-12-09, 12:25.
                                  Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Thanks to Daphne, I now have the death certificate of the said guy.
                                    My thanks to all who helped me.

Comment

Jood, don't know if you noticed but it tells you the names of his parents too. I do like scottish certificate info.
                                      Daphne

Comment

Daphne, though I answered this! Sorry. I did know the parents, but it confirmed that I had the right person, for which I am grateful. Now I'm working on HIS parents lol

Comment

Working...
                                        X