No announcement yet.

Is this the correct George H Harris ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the correct George H Harris ...

I have followed this chap on the census from 1871 until 1911...but...his age is out by a few years on 1901/1911, so do you reckon I have found the right chappie ???

1871 Stratford on Avon
    George H Harris, aged 1, b Welford

1881 Stratford on Avon
    George H Harris, aged 11, b Welford

1891 Stratford on Avon
    George H Harris, aged 20, b Welford Ag Lab

1901 3 Avon Court S/O/Avon
    George H Harris ( 26), Gen Lab b Welford
    Edith, wife, 24, b Evesham
    3 children, plus William Harris, 22, Gen Lab ( Henry H did have a brother William)

1911 15 Meer St S/O/ Avon
    George Harris, (36), Mkt Gardener
    Alice, wife, 32, m= 15 years b Evesham ( Have to assume this is the same wife known as Edith on the 1901)
    now with 6 children.

NOTE: Brother William is with other siblings on the 1911 also in S/O/Avon.

So there is my mystery...is this the same George H Harris ??? Any thoughts please....
    Last edited by skylark; 28-12-09, 18:53. Reason: spelling
    Family Names : HALE, GREEN, BROUGH, HARRIS, FARMER, REEVES, MINCHIN, CORNISH, WARD.

It certainly looks very likely with the two eldest children matching to the 1901 census return. I would look to see if there was a remarriage from Edith to Alice or if the wife's name was both those shown and she just changed what she was known by.
    Margaret

Comment

Can you please give details for the 1911 census as I have no access to it.

I did find the death of an Edith Harris in Stratford 1912 aged 39, but it is after the 1911 census so he couldn't have been remarried to Alice

I'd like to know the children's names and ages in 1911 if possible

Comment

Hello Val, I have now found a marriage for George Harris & ALICE HODGKINS, so it looks like " Edith" was incorrect on the 1901 census...both Edith & Alice were born in Evesham...The details for this couple match, children names etc on both 1901 & 1911. My difficulty lies with the ages of George Harris, he is 20 on the 1891 & then only 26 10 years later on the 1901. I do not want to claim this family if there is any doubt regarding George Harris.....

Thanks.
        Family Names : HALE, GREEN, BROUGH, HARRIS, FARMER, REEVES, MINCHIN, CORNISH, WARD.

Comment

Hi again, I can understand your doubt as there were quite a few George H Harris' born around that time and place.

I'll have another look at it today and get back to you - there is certainly quite a discrepancy in the ages given

Comment

Back again,
            If you are happy with the names being correct for al the family members in both the 1901 and 1911 then I would have to say they probably are the same family with his age either misheard, mistranscribed, or given by someone other than himself. Can you work from the present day back to 1911 and come up with the same family members as the census?

Good luck

Comment

This looks quite a good bet for his death -

George H Harris - Died Oct-Dec 1944 - Age 75 - Stratford on Avon
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
              X