First world war help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First world war help please?

Is it possible to find records of people in the first world war please? I am hoping to find an approximate birth date.
    He didn't die in the war - but he was at the front.
    His name was Ronald Joseph Sullivan.
    I've just realised what a silly question this probably is - I know nothing else about him and there were no doubt several with this name.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Chrissie

There are the medal and service records on Ancestry for WWI.

Actually I just had a quick look and there isn't anyone called Ronald Joseph Sullivan that I can see, lots of 'pick your own first name' Joseph Sullivans though.

What county would he have lived/been from.
    Last edited by Guest; 28-12-09, 17:44.

Comment

OH thank you Maggie - wonder if I will be able to view with the basic package? I'll go and have a look.

Comment

OH yes - I can view them - thanks again Maggie

Comment

Oh piffle - think I may have found him but it doesn't give any indication of age or anything.

Comment

Put the link up Chrissie.

Comment

This is it Maggie. It's the medal section. I can't find him under the Service Records though.

Comment

I've discovered that he was born about 1995/1996 but I can't find a birth record. There is an incoming passenger list for a Ronald J Sullivan but I can't view it. So I don't know where he was coming from. I also know that he was still alive in 1936. Oh, and the death in 1952 is his 18 year old son.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                  I've discovered that he was born about 1995/1996 but I can't find a birth record. There is an incoming passenger list for a Ronald J Sullivan but I can't view it. So I don't know where he was coming from. I also know that he was still alive in 1936. Oh, and the death in 1952 is his 18 year old son.
                  That particular RJS is only 32 in April 1949. He was an international civil servant based in Canada, visiting London.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Oh thank you Christine. That's one less then lol

Comment

Chrissie - this is very far from an exact science - but here goes anyway

The medal card for Ronald J Sullivan gives a RWF number of 77453 - this relatively high number suggests he probably enlisted quite late in the war - looking at casualties with similar numbers most seem to have died late in 1918 - eg Aug/Sep/Oct and some appear to be around 18/19

This suggests they were possibly conscripted when they reached 18 - giving birthdates of 1899/1900. This Ronald J Sullivan could then be Ronald James Sullivan - reg Bedwelty Monmouthshire 3/4 1899

If you are 100% with the middle name Joseph and the slightly earlier birth year you gave - this obviously isn't your man - but if there is any doubt - he might be worth checking out further

Good Luck
                      Sue

Comment

Thank you Sue, that's very helpful. I don't think I'm going to be able to find him on the scant knowledge that I have. All I know is that in 1935 he was 39 years old and he served as a medical orderly/ stretcher bearer at the front. He got the military medal for rescuing an officer under fire. There are no relevant births showing, so unless he was born in Scotland I think he may have been born abroad or something.
                        Not to worry - I shall approach it from a different angle.
                        Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Thank you Sue, that's very helpful. I don't think I'm going to be able to find him on the scant knowledge that I have. All I know is that in 1935 he was 39 years old and he served as a medical orderly/ stretcher bearer at the front. He got the military medal for rescuing an officer under fire. There are no relevant births showing, so unless he was born in Scotland I think he may have been born abroad or something.
                          Where was he serving "at the front" in 1935? I can only think of the Spanish Civil War - but the general Wikipedia says
                          The Spanish Civil War was a major conflict that devastated Spain from 17 July 1936 to 1 April 1939.
                          This needs adding to our Timeline, too.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Was there any connection between your man and Ada Louise BAGULEY (and Lawrence Frederick BAGULEY)?

If so then the first para of Gazette Issue 34404 published on the 4 June 1937. Page 63 of 90 might be of interest:

Edit: I've just had a look in the TDA and found that this Will appears to have been part of something seriously odd. Amongst a series of articles, The Times, Thursday, Feb 27, 1936; pg. 4; Issue 47309; col C indicates that
                            Death In A Home Sullivan Found Not Guilty, Judge's Direction To The Jury
                            "The witness agreed ... that Sullivan was a man of first-class character, and said he believed he gained the Military Medal for conspicuous bravery in rescuing a wounded officer."

Christine
                            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 29-12-09, 13:39.

Comment

Thanks Christine. No, I took it to mean the first world war, as the details were printed about him in 1935.
                              Yes, that's the same man Christine - living with 'Nurse' Waddingham before her execution. I will take a look at the link - thanks again.

p.s. Oh, I thought the link would be about the trial. So you probably don't know what I'm talking about - sorry. Yes, that is him though.

Comment

Nurse Waddingham's execution!!!

Blimey have you found a scandal Chrissie?

Wish I could find a few in my lot.

Comment

I don't know an awful lot about medal cards but I would think that the Military Medal would be on there and its not only the Victory and the British. Although having said that my grandfather had two medal cards because he served in two regiments.

Comment

The Times articles are about the trial... in detail, with transcriptions of the evidence.

Christine

Comment

Thanks Maggie - I'll take another look.

Yes, thank you Christine, I was trying to find out what happened to him and his children. I am only related to the Waddinghams by marriage but a man that I am helping is more closely related.

Comment

There would be a separate card for the Military Medal, but these are not on Ancestry. Try searching on the National Archives site under ref WO 372/23.

If he was awarded the MM, it would have been listed in the London Gazette, but they're not always easy to find, as the Military Medal heading is often not on the same page as the name you're searching for.

Comment

Working...
                                        X