Family tree maker 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family tree maker 2005

A relative today brought me his family tree in GEDCOM? using a flash pen. He has put this onto my PC but it is appearing in a folder in My Documents.

While I can open it and FTM seems to reconise it for me it is in the wrong place on my PC. How can I move it please.

I want it to be installed as FTM with the 'normal icons' instead this is just a yellow folder.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Easiest way is to open the Gedcom in FTM and then save it, putting it in the folder you want it in. You can then save a copy of the Gedcom in the same folder if you want to keep the Gedcom or you can delete it once the FTM file has been saved.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Wendy,

I have created a new file in FTM but the options to SAVE and SAVE AS are greyed out. So the family tree is Opend into FTM but still showing GEDC?OM as the titled file.

Sorry to be thick but what with the hazzel of this site (which I am sure will be OK one day).

I have tried Send To but that does not work, I do not have the Option to Import either. What am I doing wrong please.
      Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

When you start a new FTM file it saves it under the name you give it. Then it saves it automatically. Have you had a look in the folder that you have your tree in, to see if it is in there?
        Wendy

Comment

Wendy,

Thank you for your help. I still found it difficult but at long last been able to get the result I wanted. The strange thing is that I opened it in FTM and it had a title of GEDCOM at the top. I found an option to save it but with the GEDCOM name. After I renamed it the original GEDCOM file disappeared.

Think I will try and find an easier Family Tree program as I don't really know what I am doing with this one. I used to use Brothers Keeper years ago and it was easy then but of course as time goes on they get more things added and it ends up rather like a Sudoka Puzzle.

PS. I have just look on Amazon and the reviews for Who do you think you are FTM - many found it difficult to use. The cost was only about £8.95. Mine is the 2005 version. Is the boxed version for about £30.00 called FTM the same product?
          Last edited by Margaret N; 30-12-09, 00:18.
          Margaret N

Comment

I have an Icon Shortcut on my desktop for FTM that was installed when the programme was put on. Sometimes I used to use it to open my files (I think).
            My files for various families are stored in Documents with other all my day to day work. I tryied to use the shortcut this morning and I get the message FTM 2005 cannot find your file. Please check the Directories and Drives field to ensure you have the correct path. What is this about please? Answers in Old English please. (Would it be a good idea to run the CD again).
            I have only had a struggle with the programme since I put the gedcom on and probably got it wrong.
            Margaret N

Comment

Have you moved the last file you used? That is usually the message you get if you have. Just cancel the message and FTM will open as usual, but you will have to go to Open and find the file you want.
              Wendy

Comment

Don't panic Margaret - there is nothing wrong with your program!

When you install FTM it creates a default folder on your computer where it will store the data files (.ftw & fbk extension files). When you open FTM it goes to that folder to find the file you want, and when you close FTM it saves the new version in the same folder, creating a backup at the same time.

What you have done is opened FTM at some point by clicking on a file - rather than on the short cut on your desktop. This file is probably the gedcom file you have received which you stored in a different folder. What FTM has done now is to make a mental note that your files are stored in a different folder (that is the folder where the gedcom was) - and it has saved itself in that folder, rather than your original folder.

You have now opened FTM again and it is struggling to find the right folder where you normally keep your files. You just need to point it in the right direction!
                A couple of ways of doing this - click on FILE and OPEN - and then search your hard drive for where you normally keep your files (presuming of course you know where they are!)
                The other way is when you click on FILE and OPEN - can you see a list of recently opened files at the bottom of the box. (I can't replicate this on my computer at the moment because FTM knows where my files are stored - but I think I am right saying they should show up when you click OPEN).

Does this help at all - let me know if it doesn't and I'll see if I can explain it any better!
                Elaine

Comment

Elaine,

That is great and so clear I can see what you mean as I found when I switched on I got this message. After a while it seemed to correct itself but when I switched on again today it was struggling again.
                  I am going to let it settle over the next few days while using it and pleased that I have not corrupted the contents or programme. I plan to update the programme maybe only to FTM 2009 as our family trees are so small that I just require sound proved records. I have managed to put images in etc.
                  It is very kind of you to help both myself and other members with all our problems. I feel the site has improved alot since it was set up and I am begining to like it especially now that I can see what I am typing into this box.

A Very Happy New Year
                  Margaret N

Comment

Working...
                  X