X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help assigning sources to naturalization documents in Legacy

Hello everyone,
    I am using Legacy 7 and am badly in need of advice,
    I am currently in the process of finally,properly,sourcing all my documents,and trying to enter the Naturalization sources and scans of the document,all gotten from Ancestry.com.
    As you all know,on Ancestry naturalization records,you find the citation and scans of several documents ex. Declaration of Intent, Petition, etc,sometimes five different documents.
    My problem is: When I enter an Event for a person -NATURALIZATION,then add the source citation U.S. NATURALIZATION RECORD and enter the citation from Ancestry
    Where do I put the five documents scans? Should I put them all in the one citation or create a separate Master source for each document.
    This same problem occurs with Passenger lists and Detained Aliens Passenger List, there I assigned separate listings in the Master source because Ancestry gave different source citations for each document,but with the Naturalization records the five documents have one citation.
    I hope I explained my problem clearly.
    I would appreciate advise and can you offer examples as to how you assign sources to naturalization documents.
    Thank you for your help.
    Those who stand for nothing,will fall for anything.

I haven't actually found any naturalization records for any of my ancestors, so let me see if I clearly understand what you are asking ...

You have defined a master source 'US Naturalizations' with the repository being some department of the federal government. Now you have found John Doe's documents, all of which came from the same source - federal govt - so you created a citation for an event, selecting the master source 'US Naturalizations' and entering the details as for example 'John Doe, 1897, declaration of intent, petition, etc.' Now you want to attach the scans of the documents?

If this is right, then I would attach all the documents to the same citation. i.e., if you included all the information on the one citation, then attach all the documents to the same citation; if you created a separate citation for each document then attach each document to the appropriate citation.

Just to be clear, a citation and a master source are not the same thing. Your question "Should I put them all in the one citation or create a separate Master source for each document." is misleading ... your master source is defined to answer the question where did I get this information, in this case something like the US Dept of Naturalization. Each citation contains the details about one piece of information that you got from that source, eg. John Doe's particulars. You could also potentially get the particulars for any number of other individuals, and the master source would be the same for each of them; only the details change.

So, two questions: have I understood your question correctly? and have you understood my babbling?

Lynda

Comment

Hi Lynda,
      Ya know,I don't even understand my babbling,but I think you understand what I am trying to do.I originally set up my naturalization records like you described,one source and all documents attached.
      Her's what I am trying to do:
      In Legacy,I have an event "Naturalization" I need to attach the five documents.From Ancestry.com,I get one source for all the document each with there own Record number.
      I have been trying several "tests" and I am thinking of creating a master source for each of the documents and using the same source found on Ancestry for the group and writing the individual documents numbers etc in the details screen along with the picture.
      That gives me easy access to the pix and info,which is ultimately what I want do.
      What are your thoughts?
      Thanks again for the response,
      Brian

Comment

Hi Brian,

Because the documents all have the same source, I would only create one master source and then 5 citations with the detail and pictures. The reasons I would do it this way are first - less typing and second - to keep the master source list as short as possilbe.

However, that is just my personal preference. Doing it your way would not be wrong, just different. And thank goodness Legacy is flexible - any way that works for you.

Lynda

Comment

Hello Lynda,
          A few days ago,I set up several different ways to source documentation for Naturalization records.
          I set an EVENT-naturalization and wrote a master source for each document,
          copying the master source data to each and personalizing the data in the details window and adding the pix.
          Yes,I have a lot of master sources but I think it is organized and available for reference.
          And Legacy does make this easy,I love it.
          Take care
          Brian

Comment

Working...
          X